1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dennis Lehane

Discussion in 'Book club' started by nick909, Jan 15, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Any fans?
    Had heard his name bandied about recently, having seen two film adaptations of his books - Gone, Baby, Gone and Shutter Island. Both fairly decent films, so I picked up his latest Moonlight Mile in the library a few weeks back Not normally a fan of crime fiction but was pleasntly surprised enough to order his first book from the library, A Drink Before The War, which I'm reading now.
    Very good it is too. A cracking plot, along with lively prose, well-drawn characters, acute social observation and a certain dry humour (although not without warmth). The narrator is loveably dysfunctional as well, which adds to the charm.
    I rarely go for crime fiction as too often the story is let down by poor writing, cliched characters and cheesy dialogue, but this is quite different.
    So - any other fans? He seems to have written quite a few books.

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Would not say I m a fan but quite enjoyed Moonlight Mile ( from the library ) . I loved the film Gone Baby Gone and wish I had read the novel before seing the film . I really enjoy crime fiction .

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanks minnie me. I was part way through Moonlight Mile before I twigged that it was a sequel to Gone, Baby, Gone! Had to find a plot synopsis online to remind me what happened! Moonlight Mile has been criticised by some of his fans as being a rushed job, so that they can bring out a sequel to the film - they cite some of the characters as being too thinly drawn or unbelievable; he's normally lauded for good characterisation.
    Anyway - am enjoying his first book, will look at others.
    Who would you recommend?

4. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Ok Karen Campbell although her last novel was disappointing -again it helps to read them in sequence as it were. Also enjoyed Louise Welsh . Rankin and Michael Connolly never disappoint. If you like legal / crime then Joseph Teller is worth a try -particularly The Tenth Case and Depraved Indifference. Michael Robotham and Mark Billington are musts. My book of the year in 2011 was ' Skippy Dies ' and William Boyd and Clive James are my heros so yes I do like the old crime lark but read outside of the genre equally.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanks, minnie me.
    I have read one Rankin book (the first Rebus one, I think) and enjoyed it.
    Also - read both Restless and Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd - both superb. Are these departures from his usual style? He's not usually a crime/espionage writer, is he? I have Any Human Heart, but am yet to read it.

6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

You are welcome . Any Human Heart is excellent - I I cried at the end ( and deliberately did not watch the telelvised version ) Als The Blue Afternoon - well worth reading. William Boyd has a new novel out in the Spring by the by .
    Tried Sarah Waters Fingersmith / The Little Stranger ????

7. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

You are welcome . Any Human Heart is excellent - I I cried at the end ( and deliberately did not watch the televised version ).Also The Blue Afternoon - well worth reading. William Boyd has a new novel out in the Spring by the by .
    Tried Sarah Waters Fingersmith / The Little Stranger ????