1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Denied UPS1 pay progression

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by natashajane1991, Nov 30, 2017.

1. natashajane1991

natashajane1991 New commenter

Hi all
    I'm looking for a little advice... I've recently been denied pay progression to UPS1 and I feel that the decision is a little unfair however don't know where I stand. I've been a teacher at the school for 6 years having led MFL and PE for 5 years. I'm the NQT mentor and have been for 3 years, along with being Extra curricular lead; arranging out of school clubs across school and I am also staff governor. Ive had the responsibility of appropriately spending the sports premium funding ensuring that it has an effective on the whole school so improving facilities, providing CPD for staff in the form of sports coaches etc. My appraisals have always been very positive with all targets always met. I have also this year become maths lead however I know that only the previous two years are considered. Our pay policy states to be progressed to UPS we must 'meet the relevant teacher standards' and 'have a substantial and sustained effect on the wider school'. I'm currently considering appealing? However would like any feedback on whether anyone thinks about whether I meet the criteria? Thanks

2. tosh740

tosh740 New commenter

Hi , I think you meet the criteria! Leading in 2 / 3 areas or NQT mentor should mentor should be enough to meet UPS requirements, as would leading whole school CPD as you have demonstrated impact on other staff. You need to ask if the HT has not recommended you progress to the governors and ask for an explanation as to why. You must appeal. Contact your union for specific advice on this and download the school pay policy. An appeal needs to be lodged in the time frame specified in the policy and the HT needs to explain why UPS is being denied. Good luck!

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Talk to your Union. I've seen teachers progress (quite recently) to UPS1 without all of the leadership responsibilities that you mention. On the basis of what you've put, I'd say you have a case.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you haven’t received more detailed feedback, ask for it before going to appeal. Some schools are making it harder and harder to get through to UPS for budgeting reasons. They will try to make their reasons fit the rather vague criteria.

5. natashajane1991

natashajane1991 New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I contacted my union on Friday and have a representative ringing me tomorrow for advice.

tosh740 likes this.