1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Denied additional pay for CPD

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by xtra, Feb 27, 2017.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I recently worked an extra day that I'm not contracted to, this was to attend a workshop that I'd been instructed to go to as part of my performance management. Before going on the workshop I spoke to my head of department about additional pay, he said he was unsure whether I was entitled to any, so we sought advice from the union rep who confirmed that I was entitled to an additional days pay. I went on the workshop and completed a form for my additional hours. Upon submitting it I was told it needed to be signed off by the SLT budget holder, he has now refused to approve the request on the grounds that I voluntarily attended the workshop, this is not true - I was told I had to go to meet my target. I work for an academy who claim to acknowledge the stpcd... only when it suits them apparently. Any advice?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The budget-holder probably needed to know that an additional day's pay was required before they approved you going, and perhaps your HoD should have checked that that would be okay before insisting you went. The union rep's advice should probably have been "you don't have to go if they won't pay you for the day", rather than assuming that the pay would be automatically forthcoming.

I think I would pen a very polite letter/e-mail, explaining that you had been led to believe that you would be paid, and that you would not have been willing to go for no pay. You hope that they will put in place a clearer protocol for applying to go on CPD, but in this case you hope that they will be willing to give you the pay you had expected. If you incurred childcare costs/would otherwise have been earning on supply, you might mention that, although that shouldn't be the point.

You should not be discriminated against for working part-time (although I think it's technically indirect gender discrimination), and requiring you to do CPD in your own time (when for others it would have been in work time) would fall into that category.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

The union rep didn't have authority to authorise this. If there was doubt, you should have sought reassurance from those in control of the purse strings (unless there is some school policy covering this).