1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Demos

Discussion in 'Science' started by irishpsychic, Jan 31, 2011.

1. If you are doing a demonstration with a bunsen, would you leave it on a safe flame to collect a chemical from an adjoining store? Or would you turn it out?

2. If you are doing a demonstration with a bunsen, would you leave it on a safe flame to collect a chemical from an adjoining store? Or would you turn it out?

3. If I was doing a demo, with or without a bunsen, I would make sure that I had the chemical and all the equipment at hand before starting.

4. What a strange scenareo! Preproomboy has a good point about being prepared - why would you plan a demonstration, right up to having the Bunsen lit and then have to go and get the chemical?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In an ideal world, yes everything would be out. But sometimes people forget things.
    It would depend on the class and their mood, at the moment all of my classes could probably be trusted for 30s with a lit Bunsen.
    P

6. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Interesting point!
    As I understand from my three Irish colleagues (now working hear with me in England), in Irish schools there is often no technical support - teachers have a store room attached to the lab and just help themselves to what they want. I don't know who orders the chemicals, preps solutions etc!
    But either way, I'd still make sure I have the chemicals in the room first!!!
    Mark

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

No never and I have lovely students but you never know when something might go wrong. If I've forgotten something I'll send one of my students to the prep room but I am aware that not everyone has technical support.
    If I was working with no technical support then I would go through my plan a number of times and run through all of the scenarios - easy for me to say with 15yrs+ experience I know. It's worth making a note of resources for certain practicals so that you know what you will need and remember to have it to hand.

8. I would send a kid to ask the techie for the chemical.