1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Demonstration lessons, what's the point?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cliveceltic, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Just wondered if anyone else thought this? I have been and done 2 last week and as part of the interview process and in the end it was my lack of recent experience that let me down, not my teaching. I have another next week, this time its an elimination round and after a successful lesson you may be asked to stay on for interview later that day.

1 lesson was a full lesson, great, this was straightforward even in a mixed ability class teaching ICT in a room where I wasn't aware of computer/software issues etc. One lesson was a 20 minute inspirational maths lesson which was much harder as you can't do a full lesson in 20 minutes, especially when you start late (class returned late from assembly) and the bell goes for playtime!

So, next week I have a 30 minute Literacy lesson to teach, Y4, stimulus is a photo of a castle and objective is to write exciting story openings. I guess its not that hard an ask but I really don't get the whole reason behind it. It is so fake, lesson continuity not there, don't know kids/abilities etc, HT observing along with 3 others makes children's behaviour un realistic, the list goes on. Might as well be asked to take a story time and see how you interact,

Another reason I think this is was that I got a dep head job after a demo lesson 4 years ago and then walked out of the school just before half term. I didn't get a realistic view of the children and the HT didn't get a realistic view of my teaching.

Sorry to rant, just about to write another application and plan my demo lesson for next week.