1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Demonstrating progress

Discussion in 'Music' started by dixonh, Nov 13, 2015.

1. dixonh

dixonh New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice for demonstrating feedback in books. We currently have a new policy at school and I just wanted some suggestions. Our current policy is:

- Mark every 4 lessons, giving a strength, target and a growth task (how to move onto the next level
    - Peer and self assessment in red
    - Student response in purple
    - Mark for literacy

I teach each student across ks3 for 1 hour per week. We are required to have exercise books and for students to write the date, title and learning objective in them. Each lesson in music students write the date, title, lo, a strength and target from their lessons. Do you think this is enough to demonstrate progress or is there anything else I can do to highlight the good work students are producing? I find it difficult to show evidence of practical work (which I film at the end of a unit) and verbal feedback from me, do you have any other quick techniques that you use that are effective and don't take up lots of time?

Thanks!

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

It depends a bit on the ethos and context of your school and students, but in 1 hour a week, I would be arguing the case for not having books at all at ks3, (I've never used them and I've never been pulled up on not showing progress).

Ideas...
    Make audio/video recordings more often and archive as evidence of long-term progress
    Progress shown by improving nc levels over time (not for much longer though!)
    During lessons, having really clear success criteria (I use bronze silver gold) which you refer to regularly and get kids to assess themselves/others against
    When using music technology, getting kids to type a target for the lesson or self/peer assessment comments about their work on the notepad, which can be referred to next time

I wonder if PE and drama are required to have books and do what you outline as the school protocol with copying LOs, etc. I think there is a strong case for some more practical subjects to be exceptions to book rules, and ofsted subject inspection criteria place the emphasis on seeing students having real music-making experiences in the curriculum time they have.

3. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

I keep a record of progress on practical tasks (e.g. composing at keyboard) on a formative assessment chart, which details the skill shown, the date, and what the next steps are which I have given as verbal feedback. The student then tends to write the verbal feedback in their books (when I remember!).

I also record students' performances as regularly as I can and keep them as evidence of progress.

For students learning to play a piece from sheet music, I get them to stick the sheet music in their books, and annotate what they have achieved in the lesson, and write down what their next step is going to be next lesson. They date their annotations.

SLT seem satisfied with these strategies.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit New commenter

I've been forced down this route, we have books, and every lesson we do a reflection task, where the students write down the key skills they have covered, then appraise their progress against the key skills in terms of developing, securing, mastering. The idea being that you should see a progression as they make progress both in terms of their attainment, and also the skills being covered in each topic.
    Each student will write down the 3/4 key skills, then make their self-assessment. They also have to state something they found challenging in each lesson.
    I link the key skills at the end to the WALT ideas. It does help me with planning.

A typical reflection would look like

• To be able to perform a bass line
    • To be able to perform a chord sequence
    • To be able to perform the bass and chords together
    • To be able to sustain my part in a group
    Something I found challenging was ...

5. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I resisted this route in my last school. Instead of books, I put together photocopied booklets which had all the resources for the unit of work, marking sheets and level information. This kept SLT off my back and although the marking workload was higher than if we'd not had books, it served it's purpose. I created marksheets where I would highlight what students were doing well in green and their targets in pink, then they would be given a level or a written personalised target at the end of the unit.

youmakemesmile likes this.
  6. JoFlowers123

JoFlowers123 New commenter

If you are interested in taking part in the pilot for a new music curriculum that comes with all the supporting resources and assessment materials, please email me at joflowers123@gmail.com

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Any further ideas on this thread, anyone?