1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Demise of NPQH

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mychuck, Dec 6, 2011.

1. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

A decision has been made by the Secretary of State to lift the mandatory status of NPQH from early 2012, so first-time applicants to headship will no longer be required to have the qualification.
    I know that some would say that this is a good thing...but is it?
    Thoughts.

2. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

A decision has been made by the Secretary of State to lift the mandatory status of NPQH from early 2012, so first-time applicants to headship will no longer be required to have the qualification.
    I know that some would say that this is a good thing...but is it?
    Thoughts.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As it's a pile of poo - Oh, frabjous day! The one thing Gove's done that makes any sense whatsoever.

4. Middlemarch

5. What a breath of fresh air this is. I was just about to embark on the NPQH although I am already in my first headship in the independent sector. But to be honest much of course content did not apply to what I was going to be doing here.

6. By "here"
    I should have mentioned that we are part of the small schools network practicing Human Scale Education and dealing mainly with SEN but in a model based losely on Summerhill where the school is a democracy whilst delivering the National Curriculum..and having most of students arrive via the LA whilst maintaining our indepence. So...no the NPQH wasn't of a great deal of relevance and I was only going to take it to future proof the school against the day when it started to impinge on us independents.
    Good move (for once) Gove!

7. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

I have just heard the NPQH is now not necessary. What is everyone's opinion on this. I was just starting to think about doing it! How does this affect getting a Headship?

8. See my comments on a similar thread. It was a waste of space. Perhaps those who "ran" it will actually have to do some work and stop creating useless paperwork and inefficient websites. Look out - they MAY be wanting a job in a school! There goes another flying pig!

9. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Well I for one am a little peeved that it is no longer going to be compulsory, mainly because I have spent the past year doing it and only heard last Monday that I had passed graduation!

Do you think the fact that it will no longer be compulsory will lead to more people applying for headship? Maybe that's why they're doing it. Or is that just cynical?

10. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Oh, Hip Hooray! What sensible thinking! So much money which could have gone towards children's education has been wasted on jumped up teachers who aspire to be heads, get on the NPQH and then carry on in the same job as before. Money down the drain. And as for those well-fed women dressed in Debenham's suits who are 'the consultants', don't get me started! The Gravy Train stops here, dearies!
    We can all be heads now! Shame there are no jobs to apply for.....

11. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

The thing is, although I never did agree with it, it was something I had to do to go for Headship. I am not due to graduate until Feb/March 2012. I have spent the last 10 months working on this qualification, working in another school to sort out their problems, completeing on line units and huge amounts of paper work for what? It has just made a mockey of everything I have done for the last year and now I still have no guaranteE of a Headship as I could be up against someone who hasn't had to do NPQH!! Am feeling a bit used [​IMG]

12. Aren't they just paving the way for getting rid of the need to have qualified teachers in the top job? Oh the irony!

13. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

The thin end of the wedge?
    Just how many HT's use cover supervisors a little bit more long term than they should?
    .........and don't tell me that HT's are using qualified teachers all the time......

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

That requirement was abolished years ago. A headteacher doesn't legally have to have QTS.

15. Middlemarch

Indeed. I'm amused and annoyed by turns that people (especially the press) are banging on about people appointed to headships in future who 'might not be teachers', as if the NPQH has existed since the dawn of time. It's only been mandatory for a few years.
    Most GBs will still require a qualified, experienced, practising teacher with substantial school management experience. The few that have experimented with non-teachers have seriously had their fingers burnt.

16. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

When I told my staff about NPQH no longer being a requirement, they felt it was the wrong decision. As teachers aspiring to Headship they said that during the NPQH process they would be required to lead and evidence whole school improvement [they do to some degree already but they would have to work with all school staff]. Some people are good at talking the talk but cannot follow an initiative through. NPQH doesn't guarentee someone can lead on school improvement and show impact but it does mean that someone is willing to put in the time and effort above and beyond. It also gives people experience of working in other settings, which is vital.
    Yes the NPQH programme needed to be improved but it did give some status and recognition to those willing to step up to Headship.

17. Not my experience of the NPQH process as evidenced through my deputy - who was successful. We both feel it did very little to add to her experience and meant she had to expend a lot of time "jumping through hoops".
    I'm not against there being some sort of qualification - but NPQH in its current form is certainly not the answer. My feeling is that those running it need to get back to reality.

18. Middlemarch

Again, I agree.
    The NPQH effectively discredited itself for most of its existence, by allowing people to follow and pass the course who were light years away from headship (and a fair number who either never intended to apply for headships or were completely unsuitable).
    They did this because - and I still gasp to think of it - the NCSL's targets were entirely quantitative and not qualitative. All they wanted was to be able to meet ludicrous government targets on numbers successfully completing the course - which meant that for some years almost everyone who applied got on and passed.
    In order to make this work they had to dumb down the course massively, making it entirely useless.

19. Fantastic,
    I will no longer be bugged by NPQH'ers enquiring whether they can do their "placement" here. Which normally involves a visit and a conversation during which the NPQH'er claims they can do a really usful bit of strategic work for us on two days release and 2 mins work. Which as any fule kow is hog, which I tell them! So they go somewhere else, thank god!!!!!!

20. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Hip hip hooray, some sense at last!
    NPQH - (Nicely, Polished, Quality, Headteacher[​IMG]) is no more ..... thankfully I didn't have to waste my time jumping through the hoops (and I do feel very sorry for those who did by the way) and can now work my way through to Headship by proving that I am capable without a unnecessary certificate to say 'I am worthy and this certificate proves it'
    I will be happy to prove my worth through application, interview process, demonstrating my teaching ability etc ..... against all those with and without NPQH.
    The playing field is once again level, unless Governing Bodies are unwilling to accept a non-NPQH graduate ............ I wonder what their perceptions will be when a vacancy arises?
    Time will tell I guess - good luck everyone [​IMG]