1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dementia care home Sheffield area?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by steffiw, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Mother in law has to go into a home Does anyone have experience / knowledge of good home around Broomhill area? Trawling round today, but word of mouth always better. Only decent ones we know of are in Barnsley which is far too far for father in law to travel every day.

2. I was going to suggest Tickhill but that is Doncaster really so no better than the Barnsely ones I guess

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't give any practical help with the area-too far south of you. But I've recently been considering homes for my mum with Alzheimer's and the site has a checklist of what to look for in a home.

4. It's not online anymore but in yesterday's Times, columnist Janice Turner was bemoaning the lack of any sort of TripAdvisor or league-table-style central information point for Care Homes generally. There is a toothless quango that used to award up to three stars for facilities, activities, menu etc but that has been reorganised and now only ticks H&S boxes; and even that information wasn;t presented in one place - you had to go to the individual home's website and it would be on there somewhere.
    I suspect that word of mouth might be about all you can hope for. If there is a Dementia Carers' support group locally, it might be worth giving them a ring but I doubt if, as an organisation, they'll be able to make recommendations. You could go along and chat to the members though.

5. Thanks everyone. We've been round 8, made the decision and meeting social worker tomorrow. It's exhausting and worrying but hopefully best all round.