1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Demand for which languages in international schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ed717, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Hi all.

I keep up to date with jobs for MFL teachers that come up, I'm happy here, but it is also good to know what is out there.
    My PGCE is in French and German, though more and more I am noticing the demand for Spanish seems to be much more than German.
    Just out of interest, which language(s) does your school offer for iGCSE/IB and in which country?

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

There is quite a large German presence in parts of Spain, Baleares, for instance. In Ibiza we ran IGCSE and A Level. My local airport in Malaga ranks German above English in its signage. In Malaysia there is a strong emphasis on Mandarin. We ran IGCSE. The Indian CBSE (sometimes run in tandem with IBDP) has syllabuses in over 30 languages. I left India in 2006 but (no doubt for historical reasons) French and German were still going strong and there was no shortage of Indian teachers who taught them well. We ran IGCSE and IBDP courses in both, in addition to Hindi. I've heard it suggested that a majority of inhabitants of the USA now have Spanish as their first language. My cousin's (WASP) daughters are in Spanish immersion school in Minnesota.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

At our school in Spain we teach German.

4. suem75

suem75 New commenter

We have French in PYP, MYP, and DP. Swahili in PYP and MYP (host country language), then Spanish ab initio at DP.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Out of my 6 international schools, 3 offered Spanish, 1 German, 2 French. Plus host country languages, generally as both mother tongues and additional languages.

6. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Of my three, all did Spanish, two did German (both european), same two also did French, and current European school and first school in Thailand did Mandarin.

7. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

At my school in Madrid, it's English, Spanish, French and Mandarin to IB level...

8. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I'm in Malaysia. My school teaches English, Mandarin and Bahasa Malaysia.

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

All our students learn Mandarin. We offer German, French, Spanish, and then a smaller number of stidents take Japanese, Dutch, and Korean as self study or after school.
    (Taiwan)

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

at a previous school it taught 16 languages through its mother tongue programme, which i thought was a lot. one observation i would put out there though, im all my experience overseas i have only ever seen 2 non native language teachers.

11. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

That's my experience, too. In 40+ years, I've only ever seen four non-native language teachers...

12. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

Do you mean IB self taught lit?

That's not unusual for a true international school in terms of the student body to have a number of students taking that as their Group 1 subject. Some need it for university admission purposes/scholarship purposes on their home countries.

13. dumbbells66

no it was the mother tongue programme. most of the classes had 3 or 4 kids in them. we had 52 nationalities at the school. it was mainly "taught" by parents or people from the community, and overseen by the language department.

14. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

That's interesting. I've not heard of that before. It sounds like a good school!

Most schools would deem that so few students for a class is not economically viable. My school has more nationalities than the school you mentioned, but still have that rule. They do have quite a few students doing self taught, however, and have a teacher supervising them plus maintain contact with their tutors.

15. dumbbells66

its the only time i have seen it

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I've heard of two or three schools running a model where every student has their mother tongue as a Language and Literature class. They were IB schools, located in cosmopolitan cities with access to a large pool of language teachers who could be hired part time.
    Running such a program through parents seems questionable. Would the accreditation agencies feel such a school met the requirement to have only qualified teachers? Sure, the definition of "qualified" is flexible, but that flexibility usually sees local national expectations/requirements as a floor, and I've not met a country yet that sets the bar at "speaks a certain language".

17. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

a) French and Arabic, b) Spanish, French, Mandarin & Host Language c) French, Spanish & Host Language d) German, French, Spanish & Host Language / Mother Tongue e) German, French, Spanish, Mandarin and Host Language / Mother Tongue.

The wealthier (better?) schools are more likely to have a qualified non-native on staff. Bottom tier will grab any old native speaker backpacker and chuck 'em in a class. From an ESL perspective, the best also have a non-native ESL teacher.

18. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

In a school in China where we have IB German, Spanish and French in MFL. That said, I believe there are changes to the Visa situation, which may mean you have to be from a country where one of the languages is spoken in order to get a visa.