1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deluded about Headship?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by forestgreen, Sep 26, 2015.

1. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

I am curious to know other leaders' experience of headteacher application. I have applied twice now and been short listed both times. The first interview I turned up as one of four candidates; it went to the internal and the rest of us didn't make it past lunchtime. The second interview was a couple of months ago and there were two of us, I made it to the end of the day and no further. Feedback very detailed, I interviewed better the second time but do feel disheartened. So much work and emotional commitment is involved in applying, plus a sense of disloyalty to my current employer. Am thinking give it one more shot, but am interested to know how many times others have tried.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Head of a high-achieving independent school in SW London said, when she was appointed, that this was her 13th application . . . Personally I wouldn't have advertised the fact that 12 other schools didn't want me!

Some people do get their appointment on their first or second application, many go for 7 or 8, some even into double figures . . .

Do NOT fall into the trap of internal candidates are lucky/always get the job/no-one has a chance against them

Come off it! You can't use this as an excuse! Are you going to stay there until you cash in your pension at 67? Any Head worth their salt, although they much regret losing valued colleagues, is happy to encourage people to move on and up. If you are worried about this, then you should talk frankly to your Head about these feelings.

Hope the next application goes well. Good luck

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S.

Next week some time (I do not know exactly when) my advice articles on all things to do with applications and interviews will be transferred from the Old-TES to Nu-TES. When that happens you may find them helpful, as have others in the past.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I beat male, internal, longstanding-to-the-school candidates to both my headships. And two interviews for headships is nothing at all - getting shortlisted is a major achievement.