1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delivering a successful plenary! HELP!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by united14, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I often strugge to produce successful plenaries. I either run out of time and do a quick 'summing up' of the lesson or the chd reflect on what they have learnt. Some of my more experienced colleagues also struggle and I'm after some advice.
    I did the PGCE and don't think I was ever really taught how to implement them properly and am very aware that under observation criteria they need to be in place.
    Is the general purpose to:
    • Introduce something new (in preperation for the next lesson)?
    • Reflect on what they have learnt in said lesson?
    • Challenge/develop what they have learnt in the current lesson?
    • Or something else which im completeley unaware of?
    I'm generally happy with other areas of my practice but this still pickles me!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. I often strugge to produce successful plenaries. I either run out of time and do a quick 'summing up' of the lesson or the chd reflect on what they have learnt. Some of my more experienced colleagues also struggle and I'm after some advice.
    I did the PGCE and don't think I was ever really taught how to implement them properly and am very aware that under observation criteria they need to be in place.
    Is the general purpose to:
    • Introduce something new (in preperation for the next lesson)?
    • Reflect on what they have learnt in said lesson?
    • Challenge/develop what they have learnt in the current lesson?
    • Or something else which im completeley unaware of?
    I'm generally happy with other areas of my practice but this still pickles me!
    Thanks in advance :)

3. I'm about to become an NQT so I'm not as well informed as others might be, however, I can tell you what I was taught by my mentor on my teaching practise. Essentially, you need to try to include a bit of everything. Do something that allows you to assess whether the children have learnt what they were supposed to but then provide them a challenge - for example in a maths lesson you might give them a question similar to the ones that they have been doing but put into a different contect. As part of your class summary of the lesson I was told to hint at what they will be doing in the next lesson. You don't necessarily have to introduce something new for them to discuss or debate, but you might decide that they'd benefit from a preview if it's something particularly tricky so you might leave longer for your plenary. In general though, a mention of what you will be looking at in the next lesson is enough. I think the theory is that it allows the children to see the links between their current learning and whatever it is that you're doing in the next lesson.

4. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

It's a reflection and a review of the day's learning. You should actually have mini pleneries in your lessons to check the students have understood each bit before you move on.
    You could try ASK.
    A = What has been your attitude to learning this lesson?
    S = What skills have you used this lesson?
    K = What new knowledge have you learned this lesson?

Or Post it - Write something you have learned on a post it note.
    Or Text it - write a tect to a friend expliaing what you have done this lesson.
    Ideally, your plenary should reflect back to the LO and your success criteria, and the students should be able to measure their success themselves.

5. [*]Introduce something new (in preperation for the next lesson)?[*]Reflect on what they have learnt in said lesson?[*]Challenge/develop what they have learnt in the current lesson?
    I think its supposed to be all three!
    I'm an NQTand my plenaries tend to have an activity linked to the learning objective and success criteria, such as
    colour coding the success criteria as a key, then going through the piece of work produced in the lesson and marking the success criteria in said colour.
    Self assessment against success criteria, through traffic lights, smiley faces, thumbs up thumbs down - after this I tell them if I think we should move on or have more time on that particular topic, and why.
    Improving a piece of work that they have produced (just a sentence or a paragraph) by adding a wider range of connectives, sentence openers etc, then on a star shaped post it note, they have to identify and write <u>what </u>they have actually improved (This is depending how much feedback I've given during the lesson sometimes I do this as a starter in the next lesson once their work has been marked.)
    Self marking answers.
    Peer marking answers.
    Writing on a post it something they have learnt.
    Make them tell you something they have learnt before they leave the classroom.
    Can't think of any more - I'm in holiday mode now!

6. I like the look of this..will put this onto my IWB slides [​IMG]
    I do lots of reflection but not much moving on. I always seem to run out of time too, you know how it is.
    Will make it my new term resolution - ASK
    Thanks - Hope you're all having a nice break

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter