1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

In Qatar as a single mum you have to have an attested agreement from the father of your child saying he agrees to you bringing your child to Qatar. It has to be drafted by a solicitor translated into Arabic and then attested. If you can get that then there is no problem being a single parent here in Qatar.

2. Drudgery

Drudgery New commenter

Hello all! Does anyone know if the QP schools will hire Americans with American teaching credentials? I am actually a dual citizen (Italian) and have taught, in part, the British curriculum in an IS in Euorpe.

Thank you!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. Yes, rumours of the traffic getting worse have reached pachydermic ears.

4. Drudgery

Drudgery New commenter

Is that a 'yes', that they will hire Americans?

5. SillyBilly1718

SillyBilly1718 New commenter

Greetings all,

Thank you all for sharing some very useful information here as I start packing my bags for Qatar.

My only and biggest concern is education for my child who would be in early years of secondary. He has secured a place in one of the really good state grammar schools in the UK via the 11+ exams and I am now between the devil and the deep blue sea about him missing out on this place to go to this school in Qatar as against the all round social life he will get if in the Middle East (as compared to the secluded life back here). We have lived in the Middle East for a few years ago and he has had a flavour of the social life, a range of recreational activities and so on there....

Anyone in more or less the same boat? Any new perspective would be helpful. Many Thanks...

6. Fizz73

Fizz73 New commenter

Hi All,

I've just been offered a job with QP and am in the process of getting all my paperwork sorted out. The family and I are very excited to be returning to the ME after only being back in the UK for 11 months, we were missing it.

I hope to see you all there!

7. googlechops

googlechops New commenter

What was the interview process like?

8. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Anyone been offered a position in Dukhan for this year?

9. polette

polette New commenter

Does anyone have an interview? Why are there so many vacancies? A bit worrying.

10. How was your experience? Any and all details would be appreciated.

11. mariamkhan1

mariamkhan1 New commenter

Yes saw the posts, thinking of applying just wondering about work load as I hear it’s heavy because the package is so good....also has the school changed much in a negative way since the beginning of this thread was years ago..,,

12. Tasneem123

Tasneem123 New commenter

Where are these posts advertised?

13. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Hi there, check on Guardian jobs. I applied the other day.

14. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Hi there,

I’ve just applied for a post. How long after applying were you invited for interview? Also how long after the interview were you offered your position? I’ve been offered another job today but would prefer QP, so just wondering how long the whole process takes.

Thank you.

15. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

See below for my comment. I don’t post often so still unsure how to use this site.

16. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Process can be quick or very slow depending on how lined-up your paperwork is. Complications can arise with step-kids, document certification, medicals etc.. Simple rule is do exactly what you are asked to do. Do not question it or make assumptions. Do not be surprised if you are asked to send the same document to the same person several times.
    I had to resign from my teaching job without an actual offer. Its a bit late for this year. I hope your current school is very understanding about you handing in your notice this late in the year.

abikuwait likes this.
  17. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Thanks for the info. I only applied on Wednesday so not heard anything back yet. I actually resigned my current job back in Nov, so there’s no issue there. My situation has recently changed so I’m now free to work next year and was concerned that all the ‘good’ jobs had been taken. I was surprised to see QP advertising a number of posts this late in the year. Hopefully, it may be a blessing for me. Fingers crossed I am invited for an interview.

18. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Might be due to behaviour issues..the good schools advertise in November till January.

19. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

The Education in Qatar depends on the school but not many can match up to UK standards. The kids here are a year or two below UK students in terms of their levels. I see many people who tell me that they would like to return for their kids to do year 10 and 11 back in the UK. Most won't do it as they are happly with their salarm here and can afford to put their kids in the top schools in Qatar which there are 3 or 4 of.

20. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

I’ve been in ME 9 years, I’ve done my research and I doubt the issues are any worse than where I already am. Anyway I’ve got an interview tomorrow at ********. Not sure why they are advertising so late but as far as I can see, it’s not a bad place to work.