1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. The ads are still on the TES but there is no mention of a deadline.

We would be grateful for any up to date information about the school. Are they keen on hiring teaching couples? Is it a pleasant enough place to raise a teenager?

Thanks.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that Dukhan would probably be a teenager's idea of Hell.

3. Thanks, Hippo, but can you elaborate on that? Have you lived in Dukhan? Did you work there - with teenagers in tow?

Any of the 'delighted' ones still posting on here?

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Having raised two teenagers in Dukhan, I can say that it is NOT teenage hell. It is also NOT everybody's cup of tea. The facilities inside the QP compound are good. There is a plethora of swimming pools, tennis courts, beach club and many organised events. There are two big community centre type places which my sprogs hang-out at. A teenager used to living in a city may find Dukhan unbearably small. It is 75KM from Doha. Dukhan now has two supermarkets, various other shops, a McDonalds and a Subway. What more could you ask for??

5. the hippo

I think that qatarsoon has answered the question for me.

6. I totally agree with Hippo. Dukhan is an isolated place. There is not much to do there except going to the beach club. Basically, it's like a prison in the middle of the desert! I lived there before and have no regrets leaving the place.

7. the hippo

Well, families with young children might be okay in Dukhan and not everyone likes the traffic jams of Doha (and the insane driving). Yes, it is 70km from Doha, but really it is only 45 minutes in the car. The problem really comes when you have teenagers, I would imagine.

8. Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose, in the end, it all depends on the teenager and the 'community'. I spent my teenage years in a small South American country - no music gigs, nightclubs, shopping malls, etc. - but I had a fantastic bunch of friends from all over the world and we found ways to entertain ourselves. No drugs either!

Perhaps Dukhan is different but there will always be an element of taking your chances with an overseas post.

9. ....and a golf course which is sand covered in petroleum!

10. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Anyone heard back from the recent adverts? Just noticed the post I applied for in December has been readvertised.

11. Is there an airport in Dukhan?
    Also are there places to enjoy an alocholic beverage (preferably by a pool or a beach)?

12. I have seen a job advertised for a January start, but what with designation dates this would be impossible to meet. Does the school have specific times of the year for new teachers to begin?

13. Hi All,

I have just been offered a post for Dukhan English School and wandered if anyone worked there currently that wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

14. the hippo

My question for you, LittleMz_Sunshine, is what are you going to do when the TES Moderators delete this thread because you have named a specific school? It is against the terms and conditions of this forum.

15. Thanks for the reminder Hippo but it's done now!

16. the hippo

Oh well, never mind, LittleMz_Sunshine! Sometimes posts naming specific schools stay on the forum for weeks, while others are deleted asap. TES Moderators! Don't you just love them?

17. 325572

325572 New commenter

Hi
    Have just received a teaching job offer for QP schools. Could anyone tell me the next steps. Preferably the steps involved with bringing out a family with you. Do families travel together or do they come out after?

18. zdaea

zdaea New commenter

I've had a QP offer but not this school. Waiting for more details about visas and family too. I believe all travel together from the convo I had but waiting for it to be confirmed. Can't wait to get the process started as it doesn't feel real yet.

19. liberty

liberty New commenter

Quick question. Dukhan sounds amazing. Is it one school on site? How big is the school? I have never considered the ME as I'm a single mum but is it possible to live on the complex in my position?

20. liberty

liberty New commenter

Actually just found out the size of school. Still interested if I could live there as a single mum though