1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. That is so true by the way. but I think its just because we are soo geared up for Qatar.

2. Hi guys...received mine too....can't wait....just the references and visas to go!

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Just to add to the fever pitch ....
    We had a lovely time at the Dukhan beach club last night. They do a little buffet every Tuesday which is very popular amongst the teachers. We ate outside, had a few beers and a chat , watched a stunning sunset over the sea, counted the dolphins which came within 20m of the shoreline and all dressed in shorts and a tshirt.

Is it still snowing in the UK? :)

4. Qatarsoon, that's the meanest thing I've ever heard - now I'm in agony! The only way to make me feel better, was to read it out loud in the staffroom ... now you've got a whole school staff being a funny shade of jealousy green! Roll on August! Tonight, when I get home at six, I'll put on my shorts and flipflops too - and the central heating on constant!

5. Do you know what qatarsoon, we are still struggling between the snow, low temp. and hyper Kids.
    I went to the satffroom and shouted (when we will ever be able to count dolphins?)
    then printed your comment and gave them that then every one was chin down a bit and then said GET OUT YOU
    :))

I can tell that the next term will be soooo tough :(

6. moscowbore

We have now broken up for the end of term break. I will be back in the UK for a wee while to remind myself what frost feels like. Stick with it everyone.

7. Hi just found this forum. I will be starting at Dukhan this year and will becoming with my Wife and 1 year old. Really excited, hope to see you all soon.

8. moscowbore

hi mike14,
    Dukhan is great for young families. There are many teachers with young children. The medical care is good and there is a great community feel about the place. Buddies are being appointed now so expect emails soon from your hod and a buddy who usually has similar circumstances to you. You will be arriving at the hottest time of the year so pack your sun tan lotion.

9. Hi all!
    Is there anyone who can share experiences of shipping personal stuff such as dvd's, cd's, clothing, toys etc. in boxes to Dukhan? We've now decided to sell all the furniture, but we'd like to ship some stuff over. Do we have to have residency before we can have it shipped over? Any good companies you can recommend? Any and all advise appreciated!

10. moscowbore

I had a nightmare just getting one unaccompanied bag through customs at Doha airport. Some people had similar nightmares importing stuff others didnt. Depending on the size, the cheapest way would be unaccompanied baggage unless it is loads of boxes. The stuff has to be shipped to a person with a Qatar address. You dont need to have completed the residency process. The customs people will need proof that you are living in Qatar. An ID card should make this easy but I had an ID card and it still took me 4 trips to the airport and 10 actual hours in the airport to get a single suitcase.

As with anything in Qatar, it may go smoothly or it may cause lots of stress.

11. Hi EVDM4000. You do not need your residency to collect your shipping. If it is coming in by sea, which is the cheapest and best (although slowest) way of doing it, the freight company you used should have hired an agency iin Doha and they will organise your clearance. Find out from your company who your agency are and get in touch with them when you arrive. You ask QP for a clearance letter which takes a couple of days and once you give this to the agency they should clear your stuff in a few days if they are any good. Try to have your stuff arrive after you do otherwise you can end up paying port/demurrage charges. It is all relatively straightforward.

12. Hi Guys

First off, many thanks to all the current teachers for the advice its all really helping. I will be joining the school in September and can' wait.
    On the issue of shipping I was wondering if anyone had any actual companies/contacts they would recommened? My wife and I have only been back in the UK since Sept, and many of our boxes are still packed from my last international placement so I was hoping to get a qoute.
    As far as i understand staff get a moving in allowance which i hope to use to cover shipping, is that correct?

Thanks.

13. moscowbore

hi carnieinbath1,
    the shipping allowance isnt much and definitely will not cover a set of furniture and sundries. You get a furniture allowance when you get your residents permit so the theory is that you dont need to bring much. Your accommodation will be furnished when you arrive. Have you been joined with a buddy yet?

14. HOORAY!!! Visas received, resignations handed in and an OFSTED inspection - what a week! But nevertheless - Dukhan, here we come! Hope to see you all at the staff meeting on the 9th!

15. We cant wait till we get ours as well avdm4000. however I will not be able to come to the meeting on the 9th as its a bit to much for me to travel and back on the same day. I live really far away:(

Can you please update us with the main topics there?
    Many thanks.

16. HOWDY......HOWDY..... Visas are here and we are off to Dukhan on the 20th of august :))

Its resigning time :)

17. moscowbore

congratulations on the visa lion74,
    just wondering, how can you resign from your current school in June?
    Surely you had to resign last term to leave at the end of the academic year?

18. Thanks Qatarsoon.

What happened here is that i have made a provisional resignation since April. I was not on permanent contract but I was permanent to the Council. I think it work slightly different in Scotland.

The School I am in already had made interviews to fulfil its need for next year( It took a lot of courage from me to not to apply :) ). However the school at that time new that I have got a job internationally.

Yesterday an official resignation letter handed in by me to the Council in order to be lifted from their list for next year(s)
    Never got the official response as yet. However the Guy that I spoke to said "Shouldn't be a problem" and

19. Thanks Qatarsoon.

What happened here is that i have made a provisional resignation since April. I was not on permanent contract but I was permanent to the Council. I think it work slightly different in Scotland.

The School I am in already had made interviews to fulfil its need for next year( It took a lot of courage from me to not to apply :) ). However the school at that time new that I have got a job internationally.

Yesterday an official resignation letter handed in by me to the Council in order to be lifted from their list for next year(s)
    Never got the official response as yet. However the Guy that I spoke to said "Shouldn't be a problem" and even wished me luck their :)

20. Hi all!
    Hope you can help! We had a shipping company ready, and now it seems they might be a scam! And we're flying in three weeks!!
    Can anyone please recommend a company for shipping couple of boxes?
    Thnx!