1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. Hi there! My husband was offered a position last week, Thursday. He received the offer documentation on Saturday from the agent. He's now made an appointment with the poking people at Harley Street next week. Needless to say, we are super excited and don't know when our feet will touch the ground again!
    I was just wondering if anyone who's gone through the whole process could give me some advise. We're not sure whether to have our stuff shipped to Qatar, or to just sell it all and go with bare minimum. We have two children, 9 and 13, who'd be really disappointed loosing their stuff!
    Also, will flights be arranged by QP? And is it only from country of origin- we're South Africans living in the UK.
    We understood from the interview that it is three annual flight home - will that be for my hubby only, or does it include tickets for the excess baggage (us!) too?
    Is the dress code for woman very conservative - someone somewhere said elbows should be covered?
    We suddenly have so many questions that we hardly get any sleep! Sure it will be well worth it in the end though! Thank you for the thread - it's proven very valuable!

2. I have made an appointment with the medic as well. Bare in mind you need to take your CRB with you as I have been told today by them.

I thought that we will have an annual tickets only not three times a year unless its different from one to another?

We also wanting to ship some of our kids stuff as well but we are not sure of how to do it and will it be worth while or no?!!

There are many other things we would like to ask about as well but I think nearer the time all will be cleared( I hope) so we know what to do exactly.

Maybe we can use some advise from those who are already there and can guide us through. It will be great help, many thanks.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Only the singles get three flights per year. Us family people get one flight home per year for the whole family.
    To ship or not to ship? I shipped nothing. Its expensive and the red tape in Qatar is awesome to behold so I would think twice. I had three trips to the airport and a 7 hour wait just to pick up one unaccompanied suitcase.

Dress code for women is not very conservative. As long as knees are covered. I see lots of female teachers wearing short sleeves.

I dont know if the flights are from country of origin. Please speak to the school.

You will have a buddy appointed soon who will be a teacher in the school who you can ask all those questions.

I need to go now into the dust storms. We had a spectacular dust storm last night with lightning rain and it was fab. My car is encrusted with dust though.

4. I've also had an offer. So pleased. A question for someone in DES already please. Can we fly in from another destination initially (outside UK, but basically from where we are working now), if it's around the same price anyway? I'm sure it's been done before?!
    Help appreciated. Thanks.

5. Thank you very much! We're still high as kites!
    I'd was wondering if someone might have an idea as to salaries for TA's, and who I could contact to apply or enquire?
    Also, would we be allowed to ship our stuff - if we decide to do so - to arrive before the end of the probationary three months?
    When are salaries paid (date) and will we get pro rata salary at the end of August?
    Thank you for everybody's kind support and advise! It's great to be in contact with people who's been there and done that!

6. moscowbore

Apply for the TA thing when you arrive. Its all very complicated and takes at least a year, literally. Dont get stuff shipped till you get residency which might take till christmas. As far as I understand it only a resident can receive shipped cargo. My experience is that all rules in Qatar are open to vastly different interpretation depending on the mood of the person you deal with so it might be possible but I wouldnt bet my prized possessions on it. It took a couple of months for my first salary to arrive in my bank account so bring some cash, u.s. dollars preferrably, to tide you over. You will get part of your furniture allowance in your first salary so you can buy a t.v. but you wont get cable connection for months or it may be ready on the day you arrive depending on the mood of the person you deal with. The flats are all fully equipped with white goods, pots and pans, cutlery, crockery, bedding and furniture so you dont need to buy much at first. You wont get a rental car for a while due to the current confusion over whether a british driving license makes you legal to drive a rental car in Qatar. We had to apply for a temporary Qatari driving license. There will be plenty of people who will offer you shopping trips to shopping malls. This is a life-saver for those with children, like me. It will be easier for august arrivals because we now have proper shops in Dukhan.
    I look forward to some new faces in the staffroom.

7. Hi to all reading this!
    I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread..especially qatarson...WOW! This thread has been a very valuable source of information. Thankyou once again.
    I have just heard this week that I have been given a job at the school in the science department...which was very pleasing to hear indeed! I am flying over with my wife and 3 year old son.
    I would HUGELY appreciate it if any member of the Science department can PM me so that I can discuss some particulars regarding the curriculum aspect only..i.e. exam boards etc so that I can start organising myself.
    On the other hand, if someone does know which IGCSE and A' Level syllabus is studed by the pupils for science; please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Other than that, look forward to seeing you guys soon! :)!

8. Hi, just recieved 'you are fit and healthy' email reply back from medical clinic...they will email you...no need to chase anyone up. I had my medical about 2 weeks ago...so dont worry. Next stage is basically the VISA's.They'll need your medical report and CRB for this as long as these are fine, you should be fine also. You'll get a copy of the medical report in the post.Your employer should have recieved your reference request by now too. Hope that helps. See you soon.

9. Oh, by the way...if you need info on the maths dept, just email Adrian...that's the best thing to do...im sure the HOD for maths shall be in contact with you soon. Just email Adrian, bear in mind though, he's extremely busy...so if you dont an instant reply...dont worry he's not ignoring you...he will get back to you...he's very good!

10. Hi,
    I realise it is too late for this year, but where do Dukhan advertise? Tes or agencies? Thanks

11. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

both
    as they tend to use Hayes, which in turn advertise on TES

12. Thanks ephrahim very much for the info. I will email Adrian and wait for the reply. I have already handed in my CRB to the clinic when I was there, so that should be fine. Regarding Visas does any one know if they will do it for all the family now or they will do mine now and for my family when they will come over? As I am going to be on my own for the first 2-3 months.

Hope to see you all in August and shall Enjoy The new Work:)

13. Regarding Visas does any one know if they will do it for all the family now or they will do mine now and for my family when they will come?
    I have the same question about the Visa. It just that my family will be relocating with me at the same time.

14. Hi everybody!
    We've been told by Hayes that they will start with family visas in a couple of weeks - not sure how long that will be exactly, but at least we know that we're still on track with the process!

15. moscowbore

Congrats to everybody who is coming to Dukhan.
    I strongly recommend that you all spend some time getting together your qualifications, birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce papers, adoption papers, renewing nearly out-of-date passports, getting passport photographs taken and if you have children getting a piece of paper which states what they have been immunised against. No child can attend school in Qatar unless they have proof that they have had a BCG.

16. Thanks qatarsoon for the advice. I have spoke to Hays today and they said they will start the visas within 2 weeks.
    I have asked about the Family Visa and they said it will all be done at once. However if your Family are not relocatating with you in August they will do yours now and your Family will be done from QP later on.
    we are going to leave on 17, 18 or 19 of AUG. depends on our location or something. we will fly from our Cities if there is an international airport there and its gona be Qatar airlines( I think).
    on last thing... they said that we will be contacted by Adrian to welcome us and by HOD as well to assisst us. they will body us with others from there as will to guide us through so we shouldnt get lost.
    I hope that these info are of assisstance to all of you and please correct me if I have had them wrong.

17. Golly! WE CAN NOT WAIT!! We eat, sleep, live and talk Qatar at the moment - despite OFSTED looming around the corner!

18. Hi guys, 'avdm4000'.....i know exactly what you mean!

19. Good Morning Everybody

Just got the FIT AND HEALTHY letter from the Harley centre. I am really excited and only the Visas left and off to Qatar.

20. So did we! Getting through Summer term is going to be sheer torture!!!