1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

The standard of education is good. The school gets excellent pass rates every year. My son and daughter are in secondary and both are much happier here than in the UK. My daughter particularly is benefitting from the individual attention that the small class sizes allow.

Timings is a touchy subject. Its all about to change but we dont know the details yet. I think primary currently finish teaching at 1PM, secondary 2:15 but nobody can leave before 2:30.

There is no childcare provision. You have to arrange it for yourself. Many secondary teachers here have primary children and the school is very good at allowing primary children to stay around till mum or dad finishes. There are many nannies, non-working spouses who look after children. These are informal arrangements and nothing to do with QP.

Children enjoy freedoms in Dukhan that would be impossible elsewhere. I am happy for my 12 year old son to stay at the community centre (DRC) till 10:30 at week-ends without my supervision. There is no danger of drugs,alcohol or anything else. He has access to excellent sports facilities, a pool and places where he and his mates can just sit, watch football or have a snack and a drink. All supervised by staff who would call me direct if my son gets out of line. My son often gets a lift home from other parents and I often give lifts to other children. Its all very informal but works to everyone's benefit.

2. Sounds ideal! When you say 'small class sizes' Qatarsoon, what size are they, on average?

3. One more question (for now!!): is there a preponderance of ESL/EFL students? If 'Yes', do you think that this situation has a negative impact on your son's progress as an English as first-language student?

4. moscowbore

Class sizes vary between 4 and 22. There are a lot of ESL/EAL but they are not the majority. Both my sprogs seem to be progressing nicely in English so I am happy. Lots of the Filipino kids simply never speak ever to anyone at school and I find that very odd.

5. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

great thread, saves me asking some questions. I have my interview in a few weeks.

6. moscowbore

Best of luck to everyone who has interviews soon. Its worked out well for me here. For those who come to Dukhan for their interview please stop by the staffroom for a cuppa. Thats where I learned a lot about the place. Just sit down next to anyone and say hello. Ask to observe a lesson or part of a lesson and you will see that the students are a dream to teach, if a bit too quiet.

7. PuRe

I just went on to facebook to have a look to see if there are any groups... it was an interesting read......

8. Just had a quick look on Facebook re: Dukhan groups, and only found a student group with no discussion - please can you direct me to what you have found 'interesting reading'? I am intrigued.....!

9. PuRe

its nuffin bad, just that an interesting read...
    sent the link to your inbox...you probably read it and thought nuffin of it..

10. Is the medical in London three hours long, as a previous posting stated?! I would expect it to comprise a blood test, heart check and a chest X Ray, much like the medical required for our life insurance company...

11. moscowbore

As far as I know you only do the medical in London if you are offered a job. There are multiple blood tests, urine tests, chest xray, cardiogram, blood pressure, poking and prodding and loads of forms.

I will warn you that the process is very strange. You are applying for a job with an oil company, not a school. If you do well at the interview you will be asked to go for the medical but you will not be made a job offer. You may get an email saying basically that QP MAY offer you a job but it will also tell you NOT to resign your current post. You will then go through a torturous process of paperwork processing which will lead up to QP applying for your initial visa. If that is successful then you will be officially offered a job, but that will be around May/June by which time you will have decided that its Dukhan or nothing.

12. PuRe

but yet those who are going to Dukhan, will be there for like 2/3 days. Interesting times ahead it may seem.

13. moscowbore

My interview last year went like this
    Arrive on Monday
    Medical and HR chat on Tuesday
    Dukhan on Wednesday
    Left early morning Thursday

Incidentally, I had to repeat the exact same medical when I arrived in Dukhan in August.

14. I have read in other UAE employee packs that the medical cover requires the employee to pay an excess, and that dentistry and spectacles are not covered: what is the deal at Dukhan?
    Also, is it true that the residency permit takes up to 6 months to process, so one can't buy a car until then?
    Thanks again, Qatarsoon!

15. moscowbore

Our medical cover is excellent and pays for most things. We have a dentist in our medical centre who does basic stuff but anything cosmetic is covered or partly covered by Axa. The local free hospitals have excellent doctors but you have then to deal with the most aggressive rude and unhelpful reception staff in the world. There was a rash of sports injuries in August all of which were treated in a fancy private hospital using our Axa cover.
    I dont know about spectacles but I will ask.
    The residency takes about 3 months and then you can buy a car with the interest free loan. We all rented for a few months which carries its own issues. Firstly, the local cops in Dukhan decided that they would arrest anyone driving a rental car on a normal british license. They demanded that we all get temporary Qatari licenses at our own expense. The rental companies are sharks. They will make you pay for the slightest scratch or dent and try to charge fortunes for tiny dents. They are all as bad as each other.

16. Should one want to try and avoid the above, is there a taxi servise in Dukhan?
    By the way, do people who <u>don't</u> get invited to Dukhan for interview actually get jobs out there? And was your invite (discribed above) a second round of interviews?

17. moscowbore

There is a taxi service. Costs about 150QR to get to Doha. A lot of people use the free bus to Doha provided by QP primarily because driving is scary.
    Three other people were interviewed with me who did not get a job here. Most of the new staff last year were interviewed in London. My interview was arranged after a chat with the agency who knew nothing about Dukhan, teaching or anything useful.

18. Fhew! Hope lives on [​IMG]

19. 'You are applying for a job with an oil company, not a school. If you do well at the interview you will be asked to go for the medical but you will not be made a job offer. You may get an email saying basically that QP MAY offer you a job but it will also tell you NOT to resign your current post. You will then go through a torturous process of paperwork processing which will lead up to QP applying for your initial visa. If that is successful then you will be officially offered a job, but that will be around May/June by which time you will have decided that its Dukhan or nothing.'
    Hmmmmmmm.... is anyone else slightly panicked by this, surely it's not reasonable to resign in the UK without an 'official' job offer. With a family, it would be pretty unrealistic to give up a good job and home in the 'likelihood' that QP will eventually deign to make the offer concrete. AAAAARRRGGH! I have an interview and was getting excited, but I'm not prepared for this level of risk, nor do I think it's fair to keep my current school hanging on while I await a possible job offer...
    On a far lighter note, the dvd is hilarious and good on a management team and staff who presented themselves in a friendly light!

20. Oh my God. If this timescale re: job offer is accurate, my partner and I will have to withdraw our applications. We have to give notice in our present posts by end of March/beginning of April...