1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

As a secondary school teacher who has been In the ME, at two really good schools, for 9 years, I don’t agree. My daughter spent 7 years in a top Kuwait School and left with amazing grades! She secured a place at a fabulous university. My son was also in the ME and returned to the Uk two years ago. He made better progress in the ME than he has in the past two years. So you need to ensure your kids go to a good school. Being in the ME means that kids aren’t exposed to the same distractions as they are at home. But you must do your homework. There are some good schools and there are some not so good schools!

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

There a few schools like that in the ME. Those that are there can be full and parents end up putting their kids in not so great school as a last resort.

3. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Don’t agree. There are a lot of good schools in the ME; there are also a lot of bad schools. As teachers, our kids are automatically admitted into the schools we work at. Just as we would want our kids to attend a sought after school in the UK, you would want the same in the ME. It’s a case of doing your homework. If you’re vigilant and do your research, as well as take tips from forums like this, you can find good schools. I don’t agree that UK schools are always better. Teachers that believe that, have clearly never worked in good ME schools.

4. scampi10000

scampi10000 New commenter

Hi, Just accepted a secondary job at
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] Dukhan.

A few questions, any help would be great:

1. I've got 3 kids in Primary, 9,7,5 I hope they will fit in with the students there.
    2. Are there opportunities for career progression there.
    3.My wife is a qualified teacher and I wondered whether she might be able to do supply/TA.
    4.Any ideas about number of lessons per week.

Any help would be fantastic

s

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I worked in Dukhan for 5 years but I left 4 years ago.

New children arriving at the school is a very regular occurrence. The students are used to seeing new faces from all over the world. My own two children made life-long friends there and are still in contact with them. Most students arrive and fit right in.
    Career progression is a bit strange. when I was there, you did not get paid any more if you took on management responsibility. The
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] pay scale is simple, all teachers get paid the same, experience counts for nothing financially. Only the senior management get a bit more money. if you take on a HOD role, you do not get paid for it.

Many qualified teachers do supply work on the quiet as technically you need to have a work permit to earn money. I knew several people who traveled to Doha 2 or 3 times a week to work in schools for cash in hand.

Timetable will be light by UK standards. You will be amazed how much you can get through in a lesson when the students are attentive and genuinely interested. You should have a buddy. Ask your buddy for your timetable. It must exist by now.

Working late is pretty much unknown and is discouraged. You start at 6:30 and finish at 2:30, same as every QP employee. The beach club is fab, sports facilities in general are fab if that is your thing. Newbies always get sunburn when they arrive. Be very careful of the sun. You will be arriving when the daily temp will be well over 40C. Buy sunglasses for you and your children. You will be offered lifts to Doha any time you need one. The local medical facilities are world class and you will probably never use your medical insurance.

Local bureaucracy will drive you nuts. It is slow, repetitive and there is no point fighting it. Just go with the flow, keep a sense of humour and by Christmas, it will all be over and sorted.

Children's clothes are expensive in Qatar. Carry as much as you can with you. Might be worth paying for an extra suitcase.

You will be allocated a flat or a house. By UK standards, they will be massive, very well insulated and will have excellent air conditioning which is a necessity of life.

Rely on your buddy. They will be a fab source of info before you arrive.

6. scampi10000

scampi10000 New commenter

Hi moscow, Thats great many thanks for the info.

7. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

(Moscowbore) is a great guy whom we liked having in Dukhan very much.

However....

He really should stop posting about Dukhan because things have changed soooo much since his time that his info is woefully out of date.

Salaries have gone down, benefits are lower, the school has hit the rocks, management is beyond amateur, school hours are way longer, having time to visit the beach club is a distant memory, new children cannot fit "straight in" as they are not ALLOWED in, "timetables are light" HAHAHAHA, they are not since we lost 50 teachers, student behaviour is going downhill, and of course "your timetable must exist by now" most certainly does not!!

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]buddy. The times we had are long gone.

Best wishes

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Why are you still there?

9. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

There are nice children to teach and bills to pay. The weather is great and I have a nice house.

I was merely pointing out that
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

needs to consider whether he should post information that is so far out of date.

For example, to tell people that...

"Working late is pretty much unknown and is discouraged"

was true to an extent in
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]time.

However, in the current situation, people are doing an extraordinary number of hours in order to cope with the horrific workload. Primary people are working longer hours than they did when they just left the UK.

So, if
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] had posted something like...

"The hours are long and the workload is crippling" I wouldn't have bothered posting. Because I have work to do. And a lot of it.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Point taken Sally. I do not intend to mislead people. I shall desist.

11. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

If anyone on here is also heading to Dukhan this summer then please do drop me a line as I will be on my way in August....

12. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Did not see this coming, school pulled the job offer night before last. Genuinely no reason given for why, recruitment consultants handling it can provide no reason for withdrawal either. Never,ever resign your post without a contract in place. Shysters, avoid at all costs.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Might be your post. Overseas schools really don't like teachers posting on here. Is djphillips in any way close to your real name ?

14. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

@djphillips1408 sorry that you have gone through this. There are a few things as to why, they've realise they don't need you because they have found a 'local' hire, could be a wife or husband of a current teacher. Or they've actually managed to do a draft timetable and realised they don't need your position.

It is certainly not ideal but it's an unfortunate welcome to international circuit.

15. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

super and highly unprofessional international circuit or not! if a teacher has been hired, given the fact we are virtually close to the end of the academic year, most if not ALL would have handed in their notice in their current respective schools, only now to be jobless?? That is totally unacceptable. if a teacher did this they would black listed as expected, schools and their SLT should be held to the same standard, black list the school i say.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  16. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

DJ so sorry to hear that you have been dumped at the last minute. But if it is any consolation at all, I can tell you that you have had a lucky escape.

djphillips1408 likes this.