1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delighted of Dukhan

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by moscowbore, May 21, 2009.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

At long last I have my visas sorted. I received it in an email today.

If I hadnt already resigned 5 months ago I could now resign knowing the job is secure.

Just wondering if anyone else has got the visa thing sorted?

Also, I was told that August 17/18 is an estimated date of flying out.

2. moscowbore

At long last I have my visas sorted. I received it in an email today.

If I hadnt already resigned 5 months ago I could now resign knowing the job is secure.

Just wondering if anyone else has got the visa thing sorted?

Also, I was told that August 17/18 is an estimated date of flying out.

3. Hey, I've had mine too. Did they ask you when is the earliest you can fly out? Do you know if everyone flies together?
    I resigned a few weeks ago. It's nice knowing everything is done at last :)

4. I hear that there are pay differentials. Hope you dont mind for asking but what sort of packages have they offerered you?

5. moscowbore

hi tty116,
    Yes I was asked the same question . I said I could fly out anytime they like. The agency said that they like to fly everybody out together and sometimes they fly families out first.

As for salaries, everybody gets paid the same basic salary then allowances are paid on top of that. There are many different components to your overall salary which are different if you have children etc..

Personally, I cant wait.

6. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Hmm. I am currently doing the opposite of what you will be doing in August, as I am in the process of LEAVING Qatar. At the moment it's more than 40 in the middle of the day, so I would not be in too much of a hurry to arrive! In this heat, it's not much fun if you do not have your own car and you have to rely on other people and taxis. Have you discovered a useful website called www.qatarliving.com? It might be helpful to have a look at it before you arrive in August.

7. moscowbore

hi hippo,
    I lived in Abu Dhabi for a few years. I didnt mind 40 as long as it wasnt too humid. 50C made it difficult to breathe as my nasal hair felt like it was catching fire.

the qatarliving website has provided me with lots of information and I recommend it to anyone going to live in qatar.

I still cant wait.

8. Get a car asap when you get there as it is likely you'll want to travel across to Doha quite often.

9. Getting and needid a car is one thing but remember these drivers are crazy. I've seen em drive over traffic islands, drive on opposite side of roads, absolute madness some days. Oh and remember if you crash into a local arab, its always your fault. Stands to reason the tinking behind this L:aw. If you weren't in their country accident wouldn't have happened. MMmmm worth bringing it in other places I can think of.

10. Getting and needing a car is one thing but remember these drivers are crazy. I've seen them drive over traffic islands, drive on opposite side of roads, absolute madness some days. Oh and remember if you crash into a local arab, its always your fault. Stands to reason the thinking behind this Law. If you weren't in their country the accident wouldn't have happened. ........mmm worth bringing it in other places I can think of. I just hope ypur salary's are over 14k a month absolutely basic minimum - don't sell ourself short plus accomodation, flights, utilities and travel to work allowance. Anything less is not worth the hassle in my books.

11. moscowbore

Minimum salary for a teacher with no responsibility is way above 14K. No bills. three flights a year, fantastic facilities and a massively subsidised restaurant and our own hospital providing full medical cover, optician, physiotherapy and dentistry and travel and life insurance. Did I mention the new shopping mall with its own supermarket, the private beach club, spanking new gym, tennis courts and swimming pool and our own 600 seat cinema and well-behaved focused students? Oh I forgot to mention that we have a drinks license on the compound. Travel to work is a 10 minute walk and we still get paid a travel allowance. Yes, I think its worth the hassle. I have kids so I am not looking for amazing night life and we do get every cable channel under the sun.

I lived in Abu Dhabi where the amazing driving was legendary. I was once sitting in a queue of traffic when a wheel rolled down the street on the other side of the road. A local guy had driven his merc into the middle of a fountain in the middle of a roundabout, car totalled. He was laughing on his mobile phone when I drove past. Urban legend has it that a nearby pedestrian white guy got a ticket. I know for a fact that a colleague of mine got a ticket when his car was rear-ended by a local guy. My colleague was parked in a car park not moving and was putting the car keys in his brief case when he was hit. The reason given was that he should not have been there.

Like I said, I cant wait to move.

12. my basic salary is 11000, plus transport allowance, utilities and so on.definitely not above 14k!

13. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, there are a few schools in Doha that might pay over 14,000QR per month, but not very many. My guess is that you would have to have some very good qualifications and excellent references to have any chance of employment at a school that pays its staff so well. (Remember that 14,000QR is nearly three thousand pounds per month, tax free.) And are we talking about an NQT, someone with only one or two years of experience or a teacher with quite a few years behind them, plus a position of responsibility? As a teacher with more than twenty years of experience and a KS2 coordinator, I am only paid 12,000QR at my present school. The QP school in Dukhan does pay very well, by all accounts, but let's not forget that Dukhan is a bit of a way from Doha and some single teachers might well prefer the bright lights of the capital.

14. How's everyone feeling now the time to go is getting much closer?
    I'm still waiting for flight dates to be confirmed, but everything else seems set. Now this academic year is nearly over, I'm getting a little scared, but that's to be expected I guess!

15. moscowbore

hi tty116,
    I literally got an email in the last hour saying that I will be flying to Doha on August 17th.

I still feel it is the best possible move for me and my sprogs. Great students, excellent environment and I will be able to afford a 4 wheel drive gas guzzler. What's to be afraid of?

16. Hey, wow, I've not heard anything yet, aside from being asked airport preferences.
    Although nervous in someways, I am excited. I'm also interested to find out what a left-hand drive is like on a long drive from Doha to Dukhan, having only very recently passed my test here!
    I'm also delighted to be moving on from my current 'tough' school.

17. moscowbore

Actually its not that long. The new road is all but finished. When I went for my interview the taxi took me from hotel in Doha to Dukhan in about 40 mins. Admittedly, the taxi driver was not sparing the horses. Once you get out of the centre of Doha the DUkhan road is empty of traffic.

You wont notice the left hand drive after a very short space of time. For me the problem was readjusting in the UK. I nearly drove round a roundabout the wrong way a few times.

I look forward to sharing a coffee and a biscuit in the staffroom.

18. Hi folks, now that you have spent some time in Dukhan, what is life really like? What is good about the life style? Even better if...? [​IMG] Am I sounding like a teacher?

19. I too am very interested to hear how things are going in Dukhan; there are a lot of teaching posts advertised at the moment - is this due to unprecedented expansion, or a general exodus?!
    What's the family accommodation like, folks? Have you survived the traffic?!

20. moscowbore

The large number of posts advertised is largely due to expansion. I think there are only 6 people leaving.
    Accomodation is excellent. The family flats are large and well-built and I do like my en-suite bathroom. The Dukhan compound has a very well equipped gym with sauna and steamroom., an excellent pool with baby-pool, a large social club place with pool,snooker and general gathering areas and there is the sailing club which has a beautiful beach , clear water and dolphins. Remember no electricity or water bills and I pay about 20 pounds per month for internet access and cable t.v.
    Dukhan has its own little souk with a supermarket and a few other shops. There is a shop inside the compound which I like a lot as it has very cheap, excellent fruit and veg.
    I have just got back from playing tennis and I will be dining in one of the restaurants for my evening meal which will cost me 40 pence. Actually its just a slightly posh staff canteen but the food is good.
    Traffic in Doha has to be seen to be believed. We had a few accidents amongst the new starters and 4 have decided to live without a car. I can understand this as the risk of being killed by a Landcruiser is high. They drive at 200 kmlhr and will happily crash straight into the back of any car who isnt moving fast enough. Roundabouts are very dangerous and accidents are very common. The sight of a few cars flattened or on their roof on the Dukhan road is common. Driving across Doha is very slow due to the volume of traffic. It can take 45 mins for me to travel 72km to Doha and then another hour to travel 5km to a shopping mall, As a consequence I rarely go to Doha unless it is absolutely necessary.