1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

delaying school entry

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by boatmanco, Jun 5, 2011.

1. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Hello
    I need some advice please.
    The parents of a little boy in Nursery would like to delay entry to primary school as he has Autism and they are in the process of getting a statement. My questions are:
    Will this effect the statementing process?
    Will he have to go into year 1 in a years time?
    Will they have to reapply to the primary school of their choice?
    Will the Nursery continue to get funding for 1:1 support?
    I am concerned as the parents have only just brought this up and am unsure there will even be a place at the Nursery for him as the cohort group are full. If the Nursery is full do we still have to "find" him a place? We are an independent nursery.
    Many thanks
    :)

2. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

It is different depending on which LA you are in.
    You don't have to keep the little boy, but can if you want to and have a place for him. In our LA it is better if the parents accept the school place and then defer (that is their right). They can defer to January or Easter and the boy can join the reception class. Schools will get funding for him if he joins in January not Easter, so they would probably prefer for him to start in January.
    If they wanted to defer entry for a year, the child would normally go into Y1 but if there are SEN issues and and Educational Psychologist reccomends the boy enters reception class rather than Y1, your LA should take that into consideration. Children ought to remain in their peer group where possible.
    If you are an independent nursery you should keep your 1:1 support, you would in our LA, but if you were a nursery class or school you would not keep any SEN support you get!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There can be an issue in the futire for children who enter reception when by age they should be in Y1 when they are due to secondary. LAs sometime expect children to miss either Y6 or Y7 or if allowed to continue out of year to leave school without completing all school years.

4. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

I suggest you contact your Area SENCo or the child's "teacher" from the LA (I presume he has one). It differs from LA to LA. In mine, parents would apply to defer a year. They may or may not be succesful, succesful applications are usually supported by a relevent professional and it would be expected that within that year progress would be sufficient that they would be in line (or close to) that of the peers entering school in the next year. If they are successful then, all provision will continue as has been already in place e.g. funding, and they will enter reception a year late and continue in this peer group until the end of secondary . If unsuccessful then parents are free not to send them to school until the term after they are 5, which may cause issues in places/ or entering in yr 1 etc. Either way you have no obligation to take if you are full, but it would be expected you would accommodate where it is possible e.g. on available sessions.