1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delaying going back to work after baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by manidhesi1984, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi all

Im currently on maternity leave, I have a 4 month old baby and am due to go back to work in july, two weeks before half term in july, but due to unforseen circumstances, i might have to delay this, does anyone know what the notice period is according to the burgundy book?? I havent spoken to the school about this yet but just wanted to know first.

Thanks.

M

2. you have to give your school 3 weeks' notice of any change in your intended return to work date. x

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Half term starts in May, not July - I'm assuming you're not in the UK, so you may have to check local regulations.

4. Sorry to jump in on this thread, but could I ask if you know if the school are obliged to grant a request to return early or indeed later than stated from Maternity Leave? I can't work out from the phrasing on NASUWT/NUT website etc whether they have to let me do that or if they can demand I return at the same time I originally said. And I wonder if you meant the half term in June which starts officially on May 31st in most LAs I think.

5. Actually, did you mean Summer Holidays in July? That would make a lot of sense from a pay point of view!

6. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I hope so! Yes- I'm pretty certain they do as long as you give the 3 weeks notice. In other jobs you have to give 8 weeks but if you are employed under the conditions of the burgundy book you only have to give 21 days. I think it's the other way round- they can't demand your return before the year is up.