1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delayed start date...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wallflowers22, Jun 19, 2020.

1. wallflowers22

wallflowers22 New commenter

At which point in an application process is it appropriate to ask if they’d consider a delayed start (for notice purposes)?

Pre-application, pre-interview, at interview or once offered?!

Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well i wouldn't put it in an application as it may put a recruiter off, and they must realise if in post that you need a notice period.

But before interview, so if they couldn't accommodate it you don't waste anyone's time and they could ask someone else on their list.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

A lot of the application forms in my area ask you to state the notice period for your post so you would have no choice but to let them know.

steely1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Totally pre application for me.

steely1 likes this.
  5. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Yes - echoing the above, but definitely pre-application for the sake of transparency from the outset.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Im going to guess the score is that you are in a job and this is sept start..

you’re gonna have to speak to the head to apply anyway... so you may as well go to them and professionally ask if they would consider early release.....

otherwise, you’ve got to tell them. To save yourself time. Unless the field is poor, I doubt they wait until Jan.... but you never know.... but you have to tell them now. There’s no point wasting your time on a job they won’t give you due to it after all...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. wallflowers22

wallflowers22 New commenter

Does it being an AH post change your minds at all? Surely it’s either an internal lined up, or most reasonable candidates all in the same position at this point in the year?