1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delayed DBS check - worried

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jamescallen2011, Sep 12, 2018.

1. jamescallen2011

jamescallen2011 New commenter

Hi guys, I have secured a place at [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] for a Secondary PGCE course due to start on the 17th and as one of the conditions of my offer I have to complete an enhanced DBS check through the uni.[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] sent me all the paperwork I needed for this and I sent it back to them the following day via special delivery. However, I am still waiting to receive my DBS application - I have looked at the online tracking and it has been on Stage 4 out of 5 for almost a month now. [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] told me today that if I do not show them my DBS by the 24th of September then my application will be withdrawn. I am so worried about this as I have already sorted out accomodation for next year and have worked so hard for this. I have an enhanced DBS check from November which I could use in the meantime, but I'm not sure if they will accept this. Do you guys have any advice/ are you in a similar situation with the DBS check? Thank you - James

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The DBS is only majorly significant when you go into a school and as usual at this time of year there are substantial delays with the system. Should it not arrive in time you need to discuss options with your university which could include an initially higher level of supervision while in school.

jamescallen2011 likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is there any reason you can think of why the DBS wouldn't come back "clean"?

If not it's probably just delays in the system. Do as welshwizard suggests.

4. jamescallen2011

jamescallen2011 New commenter

Yes, I received a police caution a few months ago for something silly - I accidentally damaged a roof and was given a caution for criminal damage. My uni and the police are aware of this. I just spoke to the DBS now and they have escalated my application because my ‘employment is under threat’ so hopefully it will be ready in time.

5. UCET

UCET New commenter

You can begin your course pending completion of the DBS procedure. You can also, with the head-teacher's agreement-begin your school experience. Try not to worry too much.