1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Delay after interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clockwatch, Mar 6, 2016.

1. clockwatch

clockwatch New commenter

@Theo hello! I attended for interview on Thursday of last week and was told I should hear the outcome by Friday afternoon. Duly received an email on Friday to say that they were sorry but couldn't now give any decision until Monday as all the candidates had been very good and it wasn't an easy choice. I'm very grateful they sent an update as a forum trawl suggests that sometimes, people just hear nothing, but am obviously on tenterhooks waiting to hear.

Do you think this is likely to mean that the job has been offered to another candidate who has asked for the weekend to consider? Just want to prepare myself for the "no" if that's what's most likely to come...

Thanks!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's entirely possible that this was the case. I can tell you that in my experience heads want - no matter how "good" all the candidates had been (I smell a fib there immediately) - to make a decision asap in order to secure their preferred candidate, who might have another interview to go to on Monday. I cannot imagine wanting to go home and think about it over the weekend!

3. clockwatch

clockwatch New commenter

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yep, your suggestion, supported by MM, seems about right to me too.

But, as you say, they were good (a) to warn you about the delay and (b) to give you the white lie so that, if you are selected, you won't really ever know if you were Plan B. . . .

But to give you some support, if you were plans D to G, they would have told you that they were not offering you the post, in my view. A school as considerate as this wouldn't make people wait unnecessarily on tenterhooks.

Let us know what happens!

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.
  5. clockwatch

clockwatch New commenter

Thanks both very much for the replies. Here's hoping A turns it down (though not sure why anyone would) and that I am B... Will keep you posted!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The missing thumbs-up emoticon

:)

7. clockwatch

clockwatch New commenter

Not heard anything yet since Friday's e-mail. Would it be reasonable to email the person with whom I've been corresponding to ask if there's any update?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would have thought so, yes.

Best wishes

9. clockwatch

clockwatch New commenter

Found out today that I didn't get the job, as suspected. Thanks Theo and MM for your replies. Have asked for some feedback from the school.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How disappointing . . . but here you are.

[​IMG]

I suggest that you eat it all in one go!

Best wishes - chin up!

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Be prepared for feedback to be not very useful at all.