1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Degree Classification Advice for Primary NQT

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Miss_honey21, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Miss_honey21

Miss_honey21 New commenter

Hi All,

I'm a Primary NQT and I'm starting my post in 2 weeks time. While I was lucky enough to secure my first post at first interview, I'm still concerned about the impact my 2.2 Open Degree will have on my future job prospects (my job is a maternity cover, hopefully for 1 year). It was always my intention to convert my unnamed degree to a named one, gaining a 2.1 in the process (I was 1 mark off) but with the OU increasing their fees from 2012, I would have to start the course in Oct to make it financially affordable. So before I commit myself to my NQT year, undergratuate study and masters study (and burn myself out in the process!!), how much emphasis do you place on degree class when recruiting?

Thank you in advance

MH xxx

2. Miss_honey21

Hi All,

I'm a Primary NQT and I'm starting my post in 2 weeks time. While I was lucky enough to secure my first post at first interview, I'm still concerned about the impact my 2.2 Open Degree will have on my future job prospects (my job is a maternity cover, hopefully for 1 year). It was always my intention to convert my unnamed degree to a named one, gaining a 2.1 in the process (I was 1 mark off) but with the OU increasing their fees from 2012, I would have to start the course in Oct to make it financially affordable. So before I commit myself to my NQT year, undergratuate study and masters study (and burn myself out in the process!!), how much emphasis do you place on degree class when recruiting?

Thank you in advance

MH xxx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You might also want to post this on Primary and see how many people there have a 2:2 or lower. Not sure about an open subject, but a 2:2 hasn't been an issue for anyone I know.

4. Wouldn't bother me in the slightess. You teaching ability is what counts now. If you don't make it an issue, neither will most employers. Good luck with the new post.

5. Miss_honey21

That's a good idea, Minnieminx. Thanks!
    Thank you to you too, SIP. It's obviously me that's got the issue, really need to draw a line under it and concentrate on becoming the best teacher I can be! I appreciate the good luck!

You've both knocked some sense it to me, thank you!

MH

6. zannar

zannar New commenter

I too did not convert my OU degree but passed the GTP with flying colours. I had a year's supply before gaining a full time post following maternity cover.
    My employers were, and are, interested in my ability to teach and have said that doing an OU course showed a determination to succeed, and a certain amount of self discipline, so please do not worry too much. Show them what you can do as a teacher, not a student, and you will be fine. Be wary of doing too much extra study too soon. The start of a teacher's life is a big learning curve in itself.
    Good luck in a very interesting, tiring, frustrating, enjoyable but very fulfilling and rewarding career.

7. ml02ljd

ml02ljd New commenter

I'm just about to start my 4th year of teaching and I got a third in my degree. No reason for it other than my own sheer laziness. It's never been questioned at interview, even though I put my degree class on the application form. Seriously, don't worry!!!