1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Definition of odd and even numbers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by crochetaddict, Oct 11, 2011.

1. I thought some of you might be interested in this thread on Mumsnet about a primary teacher giving some dodgy advice.
    http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/a1317869-Primary-maths-help-please#27865901

(not sure of correct form for linking other forums, so I apologise in advance if it is not The Done Thing[​IMG])

2. Scary.

3. DeborahCarol

DeborahCarol New commenter

What is such a pity (and, yes, scary!) is the teacher's attitude - the lack of humility, his 'patting on the head' of the parent. Surely most of us make blunders sometimes, have 'mental blanks', but if he'd double-checked, and then made a quick and profuse apology, the matter wouldn't have escalated (ie to parental gossip, possibility of child being taken out of school etc). After all, he could have had a good giggle with the kids, blaming the incorrect Scholastic sheet, and turned it into a great learning opportunity!

4. I don't understand the motive in starting this thread. It reminds me of a kid running in to the cloakroom and announcing that there's a fight in the playground.

5. 2 is the first even number. Now that's odd!!!
    A man goes into a pub and orders 6 whiskies. He drinks the first, third and fifth but leaves the rest. The bar,an asks him why and he says," The doctor told me it was okay to have the odd drink."

6. No.

7. Next time I say that I must remember to say " first positive even number" just in case I have any pedantic mathematicians in the group!