1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Defiant behaviour in Primary

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LittleBrownBear, May 21, 2019.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

I have just started supply in order to fill a term before starting a permanent post. I have been teaching 15 yrs and after a few wks of visiting different schools I am becoming increasingly concerned about the sheer number of children that are simply defiant . They are not defiant for a supply teacher-they are the same for their class teacher.

I have had children simply refuse to go to assembly, do the work, sit on the carpet etc. Also have to deal with children with diagnosis who are violent and bash tables, throw pens etc. Most of the time no TA or anyone to call for help.

I finding it so frustrating but also a very worrying trend.

Is it just me and how do you deal with it?

LBB

BetterNow, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Schools should let you know what their behaviour management policy is. If a student with social and emotional or attachment issues finds the classroom a scarey place to be, they need to appreciate that a change of routine can be the last straw for a child with such issues. Good TA support helps everyone. Sadly, cuts have meant that schools have to run on minimal staffing levels. All supply teacher woes are directly the result of the government's so-called "funding formula",.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh yes, definitely more defiant behaviour these days than in years gone by.

As nearmiss points out, there does sometimes seem to be an increase in children with special needs who find 'change' or different rules much more difficult and that's why it's so important to know the particular school's policy and procedure. So I always ask for a copy of the procedure or a 'quick run through' on arrival.

BetterNow and agathamorse like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

No it is not just you LBB. I have been to schools where the behaviour is terrible and I vow never to return.

Then on the other hand I go to schools where behaviour is excellent and it is a pleasure to be there.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Indeed - children become more defiant at a younger age and dealing with them can be very taxing. Added to that is the sense of entitlement that kicks in and you really need to 'screw your courage to the sticking post' to survive in many schools these days. Even 'good' children can test the boundaries but you need to be firm and demonstrate a strong will. Set your stall out from the beginning and make clear your rules (no more than 3 - @pepper5 has good ideas here) and maintain the air of being in charge. It's a very tiring job!

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.