1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Defiance

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jessica_23, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Jessica_23

Jessica_23 New commenter

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for when students are defiant? In particular, when giving corrections to students while moving around the school who that are not in your class. Instructions regarding safety, such as to climb down from standing on top of the hand railings, are often met with sullen silence or the word 'no'. I have tried instructing, encouraging, explaining the safety risk, a short positive conversation before the correction, alternative choices, distraction attempts... It is too minor to take further, but too much for me to just walk past. Any advice?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Does the school behaviour policy have anything to say about this? Most policies regard refusal as a top-end crime deserving of the highest sanction.

Failing that (or even within that policy) my approach is to use this line. Assuming you're reasonably new to the school, but it has worked for me when 5 years in.
    "If you won't do this because I've asked you to then who do I have to bring here to make you do it?" [Suggest the pastoral head or shouter with radio].
    Still nowhere then find this person who'll get the kid to do it or report the refusals via email.

I appreciate this is akin to asking to be 'supported' out but if the school can't step up for you in this instance then you need to be out anyway. You can't operate in a school if you don't have the authority to do so and that means your reasonable instructions are followed.

GirlGremlin and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with what John has such suggested.

Walking past students in danger on railings and not saying anything isn't an option as you suggest. Thee school needs to do something even of it means having people out patrolling those areas where students have been spotted standing on railings and refusing to come down. If they fall they will blame everyone apart from themselves and no doubt a legal claim would be winging its way towards the school.

GirlGremlin, install and JohnJCazorla like this.