1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deferring induction

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by sensei123, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am an NQT. I qualified in 2009 and have been carrying out short and long term supply since then.
    I have completed 1 full term of induction, and I'm half way through completing a term of induction in a 0.5 post (i.e. half a term of induction).
    I have now accepted a HLTA job to start once my current role has finished. My partner is retraining and will be working PT so I need the stability of full time work on a long term contract.
    My question is do I have a set time limit to complete induction (i.e. can I carry forward the induction I will have completed already, if I return to teaching in a couple of years?).
    Or would I have to start induction again if I return to teaching in the future?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is currently no time limit on starting or finishing Induction.
    There used to be an 'expectation' that an NQT would complete Induction within 5 years of starting Induction but that was not set in stone and was eventually abolished in 2007.
    The proposed new supply rule regs, which may become active from April 2012 (or later) might change the rules on completing Induction but we don't yet know if current NQTs will remain under current rules and only those qualifying in 2012 being subject to new rules.
    It's usual to 'bank' Induction terms, not half terms. Unless your p/t position lasts long enough to complete another Induction term, you may still have 2 Induction terms to ndergo later on. Ask the LA Induction advisor for clarification.