1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Defamation?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by SJ26, Oct 17, 2019.

1. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

Trying so hard to ignore....
    But now probably have about 7 or 8 screenshots spanning a year defaming the HT.
    Emotional damage to their daughter comments mostly (all unfounded).
    Any experience/ideas when it is more libellous or defamatory rather than threatening?
    Parents have moved daughters school but comments continue....
    HT just wants it to end rather than a fight.
    LA haven’t been much cop... what should we expect from them?
    Kind/supportive answers only please... this is hard enough.
    TIA

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Sorry to hear this is happening. Speak to your union. They should be able to give advice as to your options.

3. lsalewski

lsalewski New commenter

It will stop. I went to a NAHT meet about parental complaints recently you are not alone - it is on the rise. Get advice.

4. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Having been on the receiving end of similar treatment, I can only endorse how important it is for the mental health of that HT to put a stop to it. It was almost the reason that made me walk away from my job- and only the support and guidance of another Head stopped me doing just that.

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Speak to union. I had great support on a parent issue from NAHT. I know of a colleague who had similar from a former member of staff and got a "cease and desist" order issued. LA were useless with this and it was union who helped her get it all sorted.

6. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I agree with all those who say this has to stop. I have been the victim of gossip, defamation and social media vitriol this year. I am now off sick....
    In my case I was told there was nothing that could be done about it!!
    I would have thought a strongly worded letter would have been the least that could have been done, but hey, apparently not.

lsalewski and welshwales like this.
  7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

There's a range of things to be done.
    I contacted the police to lodge an official complaint which led to the parent being interviewed under caution.
    I sent a solicitor's letter to warn that repeat offence would lead to banning from the site.
    I then sent a banning letter when it happened again. The person then stopped immediately because they didn't think I had the power to do that.
    I informed the police again who agreed that I was a victim of harassment and the parent was charged.

welshwales likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Great outcome!

sooooexcited likes this.