1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Deep Dives' in SEN Schools

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lukebennett, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lukebennett

lukebennett New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone out there working in special schools has had any experience of what the 'deep dives' Ofsted inspectors ask subject leads is like?
    I know a few people in mainstream primary that have said it is very challenging. Was wondering if anyone has experience of the sort of questioning they use?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Is this the term formally known as ‘ drilling down ? ‘

Dodros likes this.
  3. BoringGiant

BoringGiant New commenter

I think 'deep dive' is the generally accepted term.

(Unless you were making a joke that went way over my head!)

4. Hellsbells999

Hellsbells999 New commenter

I was involved in a pilot of the new framework last year. They ask a lot of questions and ask everyone, HOD, SLT, class teacher, TAs and older kids. They want to hear the same story across the board about " how we do things" . They focus heavily on subject leads, and then check up on what they have said is in place in classroom practice, and that SLT can also explain. They also started with the ehcp... so when they examined maths they wanted to know how we as class teachers were informing our individual maths targets using each childs targets from their ehcp. I hope that helps a little