1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dedicated Headship Time

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by titus4t, May 20, 2015.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Many HTs are extremely good at teaching (and rightly so) but are also fairly adept at addressing problems of a mundane nature like the kid who has just done a pungent technicolor yawn across the Library floor (including those inevitable diced carrots) during the time the site agent is off site on his lunch break and afternoon lessons (including use of the Library) are about to start.

Are you suggesting that the HT should leave a pool of festering chunder lying there until the site agent gets back at 3.30pm and re-timetable the library or do something which actually addresses the situation?

FWIW, I also occasionally act as tea-boy for the teaching staff during parents' consultation evenings - another mundane task but one which is genuinely appreciated and which pays significant dividends when I need to ask for favours not covered by teachers' directed time.

Strangely I also manage to get all my non-mundane tasks completed too, including teaching.

Maybe it is time I kitted myself out in a white suit, like The Man from Del Monte, and had myself carried about the school on a palanquin from one non-mundane task to the next.

2. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Why take things to absurd levels ? At no point did I suggest anything to imply heads should be treated as higher beings.

Are there not staff at a lesser pay level to do tasks which do not demand years of training ?

If a parent wished to see you on open evenings would you not make yourself available, or would tea carrying be your priority ?

So you have a teaching commitment - I did and was able to manage a range of jobs. It involved efficiency and intense work. After fifteen years at the job I finished with positive memories and relationships.

I find your post gratuitously offensive : if humour was intended its failed.

No wonder the business world finds aspects to be critical of in school organisation.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why take things to absurd levels ? At no point did I suggest anything to imply that carrying round cups of PG Tips to the teachers should take precidence over meeting with a parent.

regularly do the sort of task to which you seem to object so strongly. I am sure that they and I will just do whatever is expedient in any particular situation.

If some spotty oik has written an offensive word on the playground, I will ask an appropriate member of staff 'on a lesser pay level' to remove it. However, if such a member of staff is not available then I would do so myself before the young and impressionable saw it and went home to tell their parents, and make every attempt to ignore the fact that I am wasting a few minutes of those valuable years of training.

I see jobs to be done in the school as jobs to be done, rather than attempt to classify then into categories of 'mundane' or otherwise. Of course, I will come across many which are not in my job description, but if I am the most appropriate person at that particular time to undertake that job, then I shall do it. I am sure, from what I have read on this thread, that several other posters have similar views.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not quite sure why the text has gone grey.

5. As Nomad says, these tasks would only take priority for the Headteacher if the Site Manager was not available and there was a genuine H&S issue or Safeguarding issue. Or maybe I should just close the one and only toilet block and expect the children to cross their legs.

Possibly, and they do not appear instantly on demand. I could ask a lower paid/qualified member of staff. I know what a TAs answer would be if I asked them to clean up vomit or unblock a toilet!

Yes we all do, but we do not demean our colleagues by suggesting they are more suitable to do a "mundane" job

What? What has that got to do with this topic?

6. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

Many years ago, when the excellent Ted Wragg's column appeared on the back page of every TES, he commented in one of his articles that if you walk into a primary school playground and find someone lying on the ground with their arm down a drain that person will be the headteacher.

On the subject of the thread however, I am intrigued by the notion of heads being "allowed" to work from home, or having to negotiate and agree this with the Governing Body. Every now and then I just do it - not regularly, and not often - but if I have something to do that requires no interruptions I leave the premises. It's never occurred to me to ask permission, and no on has ever made any bones about it.

7. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Fine.

My initial surprise was at a Head of a small ( 3 or 4 classes ?) village primary school having no teaching commitment plus the school affording a deputy. Perhaps this is now common.

I have put on several other threads my admiration for current Head Teachers : I would not like the job.

I am sorry to have antagonised those who do have a teaching commitment. That was not my intention.

However, I still think the question needs to be asked as to how time is spent.