1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decorations in the classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 9, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Do folk still put up trees and decorations in their rooms for Christmas? Or have we all become so secular we make do with the tree in the hall and maybe the odd party?

2. oldsomeman

Do folk still put up trees and decorations in their rooms for Christmas? Or have we all become so secular we make do with the tree in the hall and maybe the odd party?

3. Oh yes. And watch dvd's and play Christmas cd's.
    Love it, and leave no-one in any doubt.

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Yes - C of E school! WE don't go OTT, but tree, lights and a few decorations!

5. Not had chance so far but yes next week will put a tree up and make a few decs. Having a lovely long xmas sing song too!

6. I have turned my office into Santa's grotto (I'm in FE) and am carefully structuring next week's lessons to contain some element of seasonality - even if it is a discussion about the differences in Eid, Hanukkah, Pagan winter solstice etc....(I'm being observed next week - E&D anyone?)

7. oldsomeman

just that as i now supply in many schools i find clasrooms often berifit of decoration or seasonality.......especailly in non church inner city schools in London.There is a tree in the hall and a few odd decorations....but its more winter season display rather than a christmas one!

8. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I've got a little bit of tinsel up and the christmas cards given to me by any students who have...(running total: 3)

9. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm on placement in a C of E Primary and it's like Santa's Grotto in every room!
    I wonder what proportion of manufactured glitter actually ends up on a finished object and how much is simply scattered to vaccuums and random washing machines...?

10. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I've had to do this before - it means the display can stay up longer and is therefore less work!

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have worked in Primary and Secondary Schools - as well as FE and Training Providers.
    At the Primary School it was amazing! Not an inch of non-festive space! The windows had cellophane on them to make 'stained-glass' windows...each classroom had a Christmas tree and at least one nativity scene...it was glorious! My class were doing 'The Victorians' at the time - and really went to town!
    At the Secondary School, there were still decorations, but much less. However on the last day the students would decorate themselves! They would turn up bedecked with tinsel and mistletoes and little flashing lights!
    The Training Provider was the real Scrooge! We were forbidden from showing any festive spirit! No decorations permitted. One room had a picture of Santa on the wall and the Line Manager came in and pulled it down, followed by a staff meeting reminding us all of 'company policy' on maintaining a professional working environment free from any religious and cultural bias! I was asked to remove my 'Jesus Is The Reason For The Season' badge. Miserable place to work!

12. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

We are studying the Victorians at the moment as part of our cross curricular theme so I have taken the opportunity to make everything as Christmassy as possible. Literacy is based on A Christmas Carol and have been making home-made Victorian style Christmas decorations for a tree in the reading corner which has been changed into a Victorian Parlour. The children love it!

13. I can't stand Christmas, and thankfully, being in secondary, I don't have to make that much of an effort.
    I have a small, scabby, fibreoptic desktop tree that has long lost its baubles. I will buy the cheapest of the cheap batteries for it today and put it out on Monday (it was my actual Christmas tree in my house at one point!).
    I put up any cards the staff or pupils give me (and bin them on the last day of term so I don't have to take them home), and that's as far as I go.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Food plays a big part in all of them so buy some mini mince pies and pass round at the end!!
    BTW do you know the origin of mince pies?

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No- are you going to tell us? [​IMG]

16. I never bothered much - the class decorations were wedged behind the board where I could no longer reach them by a previous teacher (and I was damned if I was buying a new set out of my own money). By the time you've got cards done and drying waiting to go home (I used to blu tack them round the board), and all the other assorted crafty bits up and drying the place looked festive enough really.
    Worked in one school where at 3.15 on the 30th November the caretaker put the Christmas CD on full blast in the corridors and the staff meeting was dedicated to decking all the corridors (with the help of the PTA, mince pies and the lot) in preparation for 1st December - they were a bit Christmas fanaticall in that place!

17. This year I will not be making the mistake of hanging garlands etc from the season - the Estates team were not happy about being called repeatedly into the college to try and track down the miscreants responsible for activating the motion detectors....[​IMG]

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

the PTFA are responsible for decorating the "common areas" so the hall and corridors are covered in festive lights, tinsel decorations and santa mobiles, the religious ones are in the entrance hall ( well, we are a church school!) and garlands are festooned around the corridors. The classrooms are the preserve of the teachers and children, the Reception class always looks the best as the children are pretty liberal with the glitter! Mine has paper chains, baubles they have made, two trees and half made cards-which we need to get finished next week!

19. I teach a special ed. class (primary) and the students decorated our tree (lights & all) and put a few other decorations around the room. Other teachers in our unit did likewise & we had joint Secret Santa yesterday - the children loved it. Around our school many of the classrooms have trees & more or less decorated than ours. The students are reminded of the real reason for Christmas.
    Best wishes to all.

20. Of course cutting up paper is better than working