1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decorating - paint?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perky_panda, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Hi, I am decorating soon. After many test pots have found 2 shades I like. 1 is normal matt, the other is period 'dead flat matt' from crown. Having put both on a small bit of wall I can't really tell the diffence (between matt and dead flat matt). Has anyone used it before? What is it like? I am undecided about the shade but the dead flat thing is confusing me somewhat.

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I think it's meant to be even less reflective, but if you can't see the difference it doesn't matter. The paint manufacturers' need to invent new lines to sell as much as washing powder manufacturers - " whiter than white" go the advertisements but no real difference between old and new. If you like it, slap it on.

3. I can't tell the difference either. Go with the cheapest!

4. madkitty

madkitty New commenter

Quite often 'Dead Flat Matt' means it shows every mark and you can't wipe them off. It's like that with the Farrow and Ball stuff. Check them out on forums and see if people actually recommend it.

5. Flat is even less reflective and hides imperfections better. Can be hard to remove marks/clean.

6. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

So speaks a professional decorator!! Go for the cheapest!
    My decorator husband says the dead flat matt absorbs all light, there's no sheen at all. HTH