1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decluttering

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jul 22, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

After 38 years in the same house Mrs B and I are looking to downsize. The amount of **** we have is astonishing. I have already made 3 trips to the tip and the garage and shed still look as full. The charity shops are in for a windfall. We haven't even started on the loft yet! Yesterday we made a start on the photographs. We are about half way through and have three quarters filled the recycling wheelie bin with snaps. Will need to get the other half of the albums out tomorrow. I am trying to reduce them by 90%. I'm not sure Mrs b is being as rigorous as she keeps making 'ah' sounds as she is going through them and that is not a good thing I am thinking.

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I am doing the same thing. A can of petrol and a match is looking very attractive around now. Photographs though! I don’t think I’m that hard core.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good luck! We decluttered and downsized, but we have a nomadic daughter who says "could you just store this in the garage?"... Some of her stuff has made its way into a spare bedroom.

And now she's moved abroad. Permanently. So, she won't be coming for it anytime soon, will she.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Downsized last year - 500 books, 7 large bookcases, 2 beds, 2 chests of drawers, 2 desks, lots of visits to the recycling centre etc....Then we moved and a lot of our furniture doesn't fit (or 'go') in our new home. So this week our dining room table goes and a new one arrives (I hope!)

Good luck!

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Good luck! The "Ahh..." sounds are worrying. Once Mrs B has finished, get up at three in the morning and cull the photos a second time. She honestly will never notice.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We had started to de-clutter after the stresses of disposing of my mother-in-law's estate. We were making some headway but still have some of her stuff ... and then her elderly sister died this year and we are now dealing with her estate. She had started decluttering herseld so it will not be such a big job, but it's a headache all the same.
    I keep taking bags of our stuff to the charity shop (giftaid) but it is still dark at the end of the tunnel.

I do want to be more minimalist as I feel liberated when on holiday and able to manage with just a suitcase of possessions.

7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I retired from teaching three years ago and still have so much stuff left from my career. I keep thinking thsat I may do supply or examining work so the stuff might be useful. Of course I have done no supply. I just need to force myself to dump the lot. We also have an offspring or two who leave stuff with us. I just bury my head in the sand and spend too much time on TES. :(

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I am terrible at decluttering. I always have this unshakeable feeling that as soon as I get rid of something, I shall need it in the very near future.

I've just left my school and I tried to get rid of things but I still have loads "just in case".

Lara mfl 05 and Oscillatingass like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I was doing fairly well at decluttering until our dining room was turned into a hospital room with a hospital bed, oxygen, etc and all the dining furniture moved into the spare bedroom.

10. Oscillatingass

You are a person after my own heart.:)

Lara mfl 05, Sillow and guinnesspuss like this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Sorry to hear that.

Lara mfl 05, bonxie and Marshall like this.
  12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The ‘just in case’ stuff hangs around, until you realise that there not be a ‘just in case’. Twas very liberating to bin the school stuff.

I had the children’s school projects and other clutter. I told them to come and take anything they wanted. They didn’t, so I kept one project from each of them and binned the rest.

Downsizing concentrates the mind wonderfully. The trouble is, as others have found, the furniture just doesn’t look right in a different place. I had another mini decluttering this year and five assorted duvets, plus associated sheets and covers went to the local RSPCA. I try to operate on the ‘one, one out’ principal, but frequently fail.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

When we downsized 5 years ago we had to get rid of so much furniture - most went to the British Heart Foundation as they collected.

We were lucky to be able to afford nearly everything new for our new home.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

After living in the same place for 16 years, my husband finally asked for a skip! It came on Saturday morning and was half full soon after. Mostly my husband's bits and pieces from the garden and shed that he has been hanging onto for years. It is almost full now. I cannot describe the joy of breaking up old particle board furniture and throwing it in the skip. I have to put something in every time I go past.

15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I am not keen on the "just in case" stuff. I cannot envisage a time when 450 perished elastic bands will be useful. I now have a dozen or so, and throw the rest out.

16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I have stuff in my house from my last 20 years of teaching. And boxes from when we moved in here in 2002. Unopened. They’re going. We’re not moving but it’s definitely time for a massive clear out.

emerald52, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yep, there is a curver box of text books under the spare bed. They will have to come out! Already got the car filled for another trip to the tip tomorrow morning before it gets busy. This time it is mostly wood including a 2 piece extension ladder that hasn't been out of the garage in at least 20 years. Now cut into shorter pieces.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There are 4 bags of golf clubs in the shed. One set is mine and another belongs to blazer minor. One belonged to the father in law and another is just a bog of oddments. The two best, I hope will go in blazer minor's garage. The two old sets can go to charity. There are also 3 golf trolleys. Don't get me started on the tools that shall have to go. I have started a sphock account today and have got half a dozen items on there to see if they go. Anyone want a plastic garden table with 6 chairs? A rotary washing line (unused) an electric raclette grill (unused) a sets of barbells (unused by me)! an inflatable Dalek!

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Baggsie me the bar bells Blazer. Just pop 'em in the post :po_O

lindenlea, blazer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I spent a fair amount of time digitalising photos, so that I could keep them for memories. Those that didn't mean anything went. I'm glad I did, they were important to me after mum died.

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.