1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decluttering challenge 2019

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Jan 2, 2019.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Huge apologies if this has already been started. I was really motivated by last year's January challenge. One item on 1st, 2 on 2nd and so on. One book on charity shop pile yesterday and 2 bags of recycled paper today. Anyone else want to join in?

emerald52 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My target for January is to only keep the clothes that fit me in my bedroom. Of the rest, I wil keep what there is a reasonable prospect of wearing again in the newly emptied spare room wardrobe, and everything else will go (Giftaided) to Barnardos.

emerald52, towncryer, nomad and 2 others like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't think anyone's started one for this year. So good idea. :D.

I did well last year and definitely need to start again.

Yesterday I found a wrap around silk skirt I'd kept for 'special occasions', but decided I never would ear that with all the other possibilities I could wear, so added it to the Charity shop pile which has been growing in the hall since before Christmas, but not made it there yet. :(
    Today I washed a whole load of margarine tubs to go into the recycling, so with a load of old newspapers I found that's more than my '2' for today. :)

4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I need to sort through our cooking gadgets...we have too many and most just sit in the cupboard gathering dust.They always seem really useful when you buy them but at the end of the day we end up using traditional tools.

5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I did a massive sort through of paperwork chucking out loads of out of date statements and bills. Don’t want daughter to be faced with a load of rubbish to wade through when I go. We are having a new kitchen soon so will start on the cupboards and clear out unused stuff.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I was thinking I was all cleared out then read this and remembered that paperwork never really goes away... Or rather it keeps coming back. I keep saying I will do it monthly then forget or find that it turns out to be every 6 months... Note to self, must try harder! *Knows there's always something more interesting to do.;)

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes! Count me in. I did quite well last year.....up until March- ish……..:)
    I threw away 1 rusty baking tray yesterday and 2 more today. Mind you, bought a new one today-does that still count?? :D

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have loads of books. The problem is you cannot GET to the charity shop to hand them in because they are all in no parking zones and the boxes are too heavy to carry from where you can park.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I’m going for another wardrobe declutter shortly. I have bought some new stuff, so older things need to go.

I was reflecting earlier, that my ‘best’ coat is now eight years old. I have newer jackets, but that’s a proper cloth coat, not a padded one.

10. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

OMG - I’m SO glad this thread has started again - I was only telling a friend about it this afternoon, and here it is again, all sparkly-new for 2019!

The thread really helped me (a hoarder by nature) last year - I remember clearing loads of carp from my kitchen, and that success spurred me on to sort out the spare bedroom. I took about 400 books to the Red Cross shop one day alone!

Even without knowing this thread was here, I've already made a great start on de-cluttering. In the past week, I’ve pretty much emptied half the garage (it took about six trips to the tip to get rid of it all) and today my wonderful brother-in-law has put up a couple of new bookcases and fixed my wardrobe rail and shelves, so that’s inspired me to throw out loads of old woolly jumpers and two large boxes of books.

I reckon I must be halfway to February already...!

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The last one got me right on it.
    But if anyone wants an M&S water filter jug with box of 3 filters - tell me soon or Oxfam has it tmw.

12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oh, I can’t follow that, grandsire. However, I want to start with the old Christmas tree from the loft. We bought a new slimmer one four years ago. The old one is still up there. So, on Saturday when the boxes go up I want to get the old, big tree down to go to the tip. It’s over thirty years old so we’ve had our moneys worth.

I don’t think I can add an extra item every day but this thread will keep me mindful of moving things out.

13. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I'd forgotten about doing this last year - it was brilliant but I started with lots of enthusiasm last year and had done far too much so ran out of things by the end of the month. I think I might do it backwards and start with 31 and work backwards that way I only have to find one thing on the 31st when I've run out of steam. Oh, where to start... Could be the book shelf!

Does taking rubbish out ot a teenagers bedroom count as there was a black sack full of crisp packets...? If not I'll start tomorrow as have run out of energy now.

14. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Of course taking rubbish out counts and if you've bought something new then throwing the old one out counts as well!

15. Lara mfl 05

Absolutely.:)

In fact that's one main reason for getting rid -to clear space for new, isn't it? ;)

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Last year I had the same problem, so I filled a box labelled "book exchange" with lots of nice books and took them to a leisure centre which is just round the corner and has lots of leisure centre-y parking and left them there. Just left them.
    The box is still there a few months later, but gratifyingly the books inside are all different.
    I think the trick was not to ask anybody, I just put them there.
    (Before I am castigated for not having asked, perhaps such attention ought to be directed to those two blokes who recently hung up a giant poster of themselves in McDonald's...)

17. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Then I think I’ve done the first two days of my doing it backwards regime. Hurrah for getting something right, even if it was an accident!

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Well I’m not getting rid of books. But clothes can go. Don't need school uniform anymore. Also why do I need so many tablecloths? I know i could use them as paint sheets but to be honest the paint would go through them.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

How many tablecloths do you have out of interest? I have one for Christmas and an oilcloth type one for all other occasions.

20. Lara mfl 05

Well I know I have far too many having 'inherited' ones from an aunt, my Mum and mother-in-law. Considering I only rarely use them they definitely need sorting. ;)