1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Declining a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MissSannachan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. I really need some advice. I am currently an NQT and I am lucky enough to have been offered a job. The problem is I applied to the council for full time and answered no when they asked if I would work in a nursery. They have now offered me a part time job... in a nursery. The job would require me to work 3 hours each afternoon which means I can't even get supply during the day. Where do I stand with this? I don't mind the part time so much but if I specifically said I wouldn't work in a nursery should they be giving me this job? I don't know where I stand if I decline the job.

2. I really need some advice. I am currently an NQT and I am lucky enough to have been offered a job. The problem is I applied to the council for full time and answered no when they asked if I would work in a nursery. They have now offered me a part time job... in a nursery. The job would require me to work 3 hours each afternoon which means I can't even get supply during the day. Where do I stand with this? I don't mind the part time so much but if I specifically said I wouldn't work in a nursery should they be giving me this job? I don't know where I stand if I decline the job.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Just let them know that you do not want work in a nursery and do want full time or at least full days of work.

4. can you afford to be jobless in September? Are there any other jobs around? Because something might just be better than nothing- Theo can tell you the statistics of how many of the last two years' worth of NQTs are still without a job.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not got the most recent ones.
    But at Easter there were still almost 50% of 2010 NQTs still jobseeking, not yet started induction. And a quarter of 2009 NQTs. And a good few of 2008 . . . And now of course all the 2011 lot are jobseeking like mad.
    The whole situation is mad - they have been taking too many people on to PGCE courses when they were cutting busgets to schools.
    However, the decision mustn't only be made on that, as there is the financial fact of taking up your whole working week for only 15 hours pay per week. And in fact the decision cannot be made by me.
    I will answer your question: tell them that this does not meet your professional needs for induction in an appropriate KS, nor your financial needs for a FT post, so you are with regret turning it down. Add that you are still anxious to work for them.
    And continue with the JobSeeking if you do turn it down.
    Dear Theo- Applications and Interviews- Feel like I've hit a brick wall
    Best of luck whatever you decide.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!