1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Declined a job offer but regret decision

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by roverfan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Declined job offer by email....Circumstances have changed and the obligation that I had has now been removed so would be free to accept.
    Should I grit my teeth and move on or contact school?
    Timescales are recent - declined on Friday later afternoon so hoping they wouldn't have approached anyone else by Monday morning.
    Any experiences of the same? Or any SMT out there - how would this look?
    Any advice/comments gratefully received...in turmoil!

2. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Declined job offer by email....Circumstances have changed and the obligation that I had has now been removed so would be free to accept.
    Should I grit my teeth and move on or contact school?
    Timescales are recent - declined on Friday later afternoon so hoping they wouldn't have approached anyone else by Monday morning.
    Any experiences of the same? Or any SMT out there - how would this look?
    Any advice/comments gratefully received...in turmoil!

3. I suppose you could try.
    I rather think though that they'd be reluctant to trust that you wouldn't change your mind again.

4. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Yep, thats what I thought.
    Had genuine reason why couldn't accept - which I explained clearly in email & that has now changd but yes, its pretty unprofessional. Proabably better just to draw a line under it...sigh.

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

What have you got to lose? Get that email typed up and sent so it is in their mail box first thing. As long as you explain your circumstances and thought process, things maybe ok, though you may find they simply went down their list to candidate number 2, whom they immediately contacted and offered your job to.
    In the past I turned down a job offer yet went back to them two months later and accepted, since they were still yet to fill it. My relief was tempered by the fact I was obviously scratching the bottom of the barrel in the positions I was applying for. I eventually stayed three years and learnt how to teach in an inner city environment.

6. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Thanks happygreenfrog, glimmer of hope - maybe too late but worth asking.

7. Yes, what he said. You've nothing to lose by trying. Good luck.

8. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Thank you. Will phone first thing Monday....and just hope they don't regret ever offering me the job! Will let you know.

9. Roverfan,
    The quote from the Welsh idiot in Notting Hill comes to mind when Hugh Grant's character turns down Julia Roberts' offer of a relationship...
    'You daft prick!' [​IMG]
    Make the call and good luck.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Whilst the other contributors are supportive, I'm going to dampen things. This time of year is very much last pit stops; anyone turning down a job in June and July better have a good reason to do so, such as a better job offer.
    I'll always ask why if someone turns down an offer, but I'd be straight on to the number two candidate immediately rather than wait for a reply. So if this is the case with the school you had an offer from, they would wait and see the response from this candidate before reviewing your case.
    To suggest you have nothing to lose by getting back to the school is wrong. For circumstances to change so rapidly makes you sound flaky; unless you put a very clear explanation on your email for turning down the school. You'd have to make a very compelling case for me to reconsider you in such circumstances.
    If you're in a position where you have resigned, or had no job anyway, you've been foolish. If you're in work, better stick it out for another year, or hope a decent school has a drop out candidate last minute.

11. Think roverfan meant a proper one, MM....

12. MisterMaker

Ha De Ha[​IMG]

13. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

I declined the job as have sponsorship to go to South America next year to visit schools,meet teachers, share best practice. Sponsorship that (unknown to me at the time of interview) would be withdrawn if I took overseas joband was no longer local.I thought my commitment to the team travelling there should take precedence as I accepted the sponsorship first.
    I explained this to the head by email and hoped that any future applications in following years would still be considered.
    However after meeting my team leader for South America trip have now been satisfied that withdrawing from team wouldn't cause any detriment to team and my obligation to the team as it where has been lifted so woudl be free to take job which I desperately want...

Compelling or flaky..? Genuine reasons but aware that its not professional. Should have held back from decision - replied on same day - but wanted to let school know straight away so they could contact someone else..argh!

14. Ha de ho!

15. MisterMaker

Flaky, as it doesn't make complete sense (although I admit I have a glass of Jara Whiskey in front of me.
    On the one hand you turn down a job offer and then you talk about pulling out of the team...
    Sounds to me you have flaked on your 'team' and on a job offer. I wouldn't accept that excuse.
    [​IMG]
    Hi Di Hi FP

16. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

Ah well, have fired off an email so will just have to wait until Monday & see.
    Gut instinct says you are probably right, everday is a school day with lessons to be learnt!

17. Not sure Superdave would agree...

18. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

A long, long time ago, very early in my I.T. career, I turned down a position, but subsequently went back to the firm. They put me through the wringer, a bit, but then gave me the job.

So, if you want the job, give it a go.

19. roverfan

roverfan New commenter

A HUGE thanks to happygreenfrog, robbywilliams, foneypharaoh & david G....contacted the school and the job is still mine.
    Very lucky and very happy. If you hadn't encouraged me to gve it a go think would have left it - so thanks, you may well have changed my life! [​IMG]

20. Congratulations [​IMG]