1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by senlady, Mar 14, 2016.

1. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Been offered the job abroad.

So now all those 'scary' what ifs need to be really nailed down and decision needs to be made. Being a parent and therefore making the decision for myself and 3 other bods seems far too grown up to me!! :eek:

compostela2004 likes this.
  2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I know it seems daunting but seriously, just do it. Best thing my parents ever did was becoming international teachers. My sister and I had incredible childhoods because of it, and I know that it's had a huge positive impact on my life. Take the leap! :D

3. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Congratulations! Worst case- if you don't like it you can always come home, or even better, go somewhere else!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Moving abroad is a big life change so I can see why you're nervous! You were obviously keen enough to apply and go through the interview process... seems like it is something you want to do, so try to put your worries aside and go for it. They say it's better to regret the things you've done than the things you haven't!

senlady likes this.
  5. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Same situation here just scared of the plunge but I know it's what I want. My worry is, is it what my children want. Will they be able to adapt and fit in? It's just hard to know what's right but everyone on here is right. It's worth the risk and the worse that can happen is to return home to normality.

liberty and senlady like this.
  6. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I agree that if we don't do it we will always wonder 'what if' - well I will anyway, it is something we have pondered for over 7 years and I repeatedly come back to it. I feel there is always going to be a reason not to. This role is in a very unusual place which could be a positive or a negative. Our major concern is covering ourselves financially with keeping a property in Blighty and the cost of that! I do not fear for the sproglets as they have each other and are v adaptable in general!

ea123 likes this.
  7. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

So long as they're paying you a whack, go 4 it. If they aren't, stay in Blighty. Whichever, you'll still have to pay the council tax

8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

No there is no 'whack' being paid but that is so not the be all and end all for us. And no we do not intend paying the council tax, it'll be rented out.

9. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I rented my house out once while in Thailand and I had to rent it out unfurnished as they had their own stuff. It was a lot of hassle putting all my household items into storage. Which country are you thinking of going to?

10. liberty

liberty New commenter

can i ask what country Senlady? Did you get places covered for your children? i have finally bitten the bullet and started applying! possibly a bit late for this year but i have been considering for years and def think you only regret the things you don't do.

senlady likes this.
  11. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I can't really say where without really showing who I am as there is only one primary and one secondary there! It is very remote, our children will have places, class sizes are never more than 30 - once at 31 they split to 15/6 again. The wage is less than uk but the experience will be 100% priceless!

12. liberty

liberty New commenter

Sounds intriguing! Hope it all goes well for you X

13. Autumn87

Autumn87 New commenter

Congratulations on getting the job! Going into it'l teaching was one of the best decisions I ever made. You always have the security of your home to come back to, but I'm sure you won't be in a hurry to do so. I'm envious of your children getting that great experience!

14. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

Sounds like one of our South Atlantic outposts. I had the immense good fortune to spend a couple of years in one, and loved every minute. All the best!

senlady likes this.
  15. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

Congratulations!!! Don't think - just do!

(unless there's something very important holding you back!)

senlady likes this.
  16. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

@jpgreenwood that maybe a nail hit on the head. I'd be interested to hear more, I'll DM if that's ok.

17. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Very jealous @senlady! Good luck with it.

18. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I left England in 1976 and have had a wonderful 40 years teaching in five different international schools. I've never regretted moving, even when things weren't going as swimmingly as I would have liked in whatever school I was at. Even my worst experiences were better than the stories my friends back in England were telling me...

sara2323 and zdaea like this.
  19. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

On two topics so far I have seen you telling people to just go for it since they'll be swimming in gold. You need to tell me where you teach, and particularly if there are any vacancies.

davidbowiefan, ea123 and senlady like this.
  20. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I wish my other half would think like this! I am feeling dismal at the moment as he is holding us all back and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place!