1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decisions, Decisions.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kcc19, Nov 26, 2015.

1. kcc19

kcc19 New commenter

Dear TheoGriff,
    I'm in a situation where I never thought I would've been in at the start of entering the teaching profession... 2 1/2 years after graduating, no permanent job and stuck in the limited pay of supply.

I'm secondary physical education with qts and through supply I have managed to get 1 term of my nqt signed off, I love teaching PE but getting paid less than the minimum wage through an academic year just isn't working; I can't move on to the next step in life without a permanent job and the pressures of life are drowning me.

I have heard about some teachers retraining or delivering subject they haven't graduated in; I have also hear of SKE courses in order to assist teachers into delivering subjects they have limited knowledge in.

I ask for your advice on whether there are still courses out there that would allow me to convert to teaching science or mathematics even though qualifications for these subjects were not attained at a level and whether this is even possible.

Regards

Kcc19

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I know of PE teachers who've gone on to teach Geography and English ... [one out of choice, the other from age]... Could you ask your supply agencies to maybe push you more towards alternative subject areas so you get experience?

Sorry, not very much use I know but it is possible.

Best of luck either way!

3. kcc19

kcc19 New commenter

Thank you for your response, I am constantly covering alternative subject areas through the supply agency i don't think there's an area I haven't taught in yet. I do enjoy teaching both science and maths; I also know their are a lack of teachers in those areas so would've thought there would be possible training routes.

I have even considered applying for science technician roles in order to gain knowledge of the subject and get my foot in the door.

4. kcc19

kcc19 New commenter

Additionally, I am well aware that delivering science and mathematics on a full time basis is completely different to delivering the subject during supply. I am in no way trying to under value the time, effort and energy it takes to deliver maths and science subjects efficiently and successfully.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This is precisely the reason why I always advise intending PE teachers (a) to take a joint degree which includes another (preferably shortage) curriculum subject and (b) to train in PE plus that other curriculum area.

What other subjects do you have at A level? That's the place to start.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You need to contact the People Who Know about this, at the DfE.

Subject Enhancement Courses are available for people while they are doing their ITT. If you contact the DfE they may tell you that there are some available after training, to change your subject. There certainly used to be.

Register with them and you can do chats to discuss options.

Best wishes