1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decision to be made

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wendysch, Feb 23, 2020.

1. wendysch

wendysch New commenter

Before half term I went to see my doctor and was diagnosed with work related stress. She would have signed me off but we agreed that I would see how I went with the last week before half term and then how I felt afterwards, I only work 2 days a week. I think I have come to the decision to resign from my post probably at Easter. I feel this would be fairer on the class as they can get someone in post rather than covering with a TA or different supply teachers if I get signed off. I have not spoken to anyone at work about this so resigning will come out of the blue. Should I talk to someone before making a final decision or just resign stating personal reasons?

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

You must talk to your Union. Do not resign without speaking to them.

jlishman2158, pepper5, nomad and 4 others like this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Get signed off first as the doctor suggested and take time to recover before making any career decisions. We don't think clearly when we are stressed.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can you afford to resign without a job to go to?
    Does your school know you are struggling?
    Is there a way school could make changes that mean you can recover from this stress crisis and go on to be healthy again?

Leaving at Easter means you only have this week to decide and get your resignation sorted. If you can possibly hang on until July, then you have time to put plans in place.
    Don't resign in case you go off sick...that makes no sense!

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Definitely let your GP sign you off so that you can rest and recover - she clearly diagnosed you with stress and felt you needed time away from the cause of the stress. Only then, when you are feeling stronger, will you be able to think clearly, take stock and decide what is the right thing to do. Don't worry about school - they will cope. Your health and well-being are the most important thing here. Take care of yourself, get better and then think about the way forwards.

agathamorse, phlogiston and Lalad like this.
  6. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

The thing is, how long will that time off be and will it give peace of mind to return afterwards? Sometimes, to resign and not have the thought to return is perhaps more beneficial for one's well-being, IF, there are other means of income to help over time. Plus being signed off is on your record in terms of stress related absence and could maybe work against you? I think sometimes, that the mere thought of returning to work, knowing the environment, can add to the stress etc and consideration of colleagues having to cope in your absence or possible phased return. There is far too much 'guilt' in being a teacher who has reached a point of not feeling able to continue, effectively, with the responsibilities of being a teacher. If your GP is prepared to sign you off until July, then it is worth holding on so things can be organised but can you apply for other jobs, while signed off for stress and what about, returning to this school, is really the reason for your stress; can you attend interviews while signed off?