1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decision made - Summer 2020!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Cantwaittogo, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

I never thought it would come but it has. I toyed with Christmas 2019 but staying until the summer will give me a bit more time on my financial planning.

PM will be a doddle this year!

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You can now start counting down!:)

3. Cantwaittogo

I've got an app - 11 months 20 days

4. djhappy

djhappy New commenter

Well Cantwaittogo, I'm in the same position as you. The reality hit when we had our family home valued this afternoon as preparation for the big move. Keep us updated on how your year is going - I'm planning to do the same!

Startedin82 and Cantwaittogo like this.
  5. Cantwaittogo

Will do Djhappy!

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Cantwaittogo, glad you've made your decision. I'm still wavering … have cut down to four days a week this year, so will have a three day weekend - not working Friday. Lots of options - Head is fine if I want to cut down to 3 days for one more year after this. OH is also cutting down the same way, so we're just going to see how it goes. I'm really looking forward to the long weekends this year!

Startedin82 likes this.
  7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m going in December 2020 just after my 60th Birthday in November 2020. I could work up to my 65th, but I want to enjoy a long retirement and after what will be 38 years in the sector, it will be time to move on.
    The HT who gave me my first teaching role back in 1982 retired in July 1985 and passed away in January 1986. Worked for 40 odd years to only enjoy six months of retirement. Sad really.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm still dithering too. Mainly because I'm sort of hoping we will have voluntary redundancies next year (3 rounds of those over last 6 years). But the fact that I'm now 55 and can go when I want is quite liberating. Trouble is I do actually like my job, so I'm torn between giving up to have time with Mr GW who retired 9 years ago, and carrying on whilst I still enjoy it. I already work part time.Eithet way I think I'll plan a year ahead.

9. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Hi @thejudgesscoresarein - I started in 1982 like you and finished last Easter (19).

It's very sad when you hear about people dying very early in retirement (my mates brother dropped dead of a heart attack on day 3 of his retirement recently - although not a teacher) but don't forget that these retirees are the exception. I lost count during my career of the number of times I was told by various old sages in the staffrooms of schools I worked in that if a teacher retired at age x then he/she would only have an average of x months of retirement etc etc - it's a myth I was relieved to find out.

Enjoy your final term!

10. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

If you've done 30+ years full time teaching, have no/low mortgage outgoings and the job is beginning to pall , I can't see why you would want to keep going, personally. The teacher's pension is still a very good one. It is a major perk of a job .I felt like I had won the lottery (and still do after well over three years). Why defer a lottery win?

Startedin82 likes this.