1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decision day

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Stevek, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Stevek

Stevek New commenter

Just told my chair of governors that I will be retiring this year from the headship of my school. Don’t know whether to be excited or scared! Still negotiating whether I will finish at Easter or in the summer.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Congratulations. Don’t negotiate between Easter and summer. It is entirely your decision. You go when you want (provided you’ve given correct notice).

As to excited or scared: expect it to be a bit of both all the way.

welshwales and border_walker like this.
  3. cassiedogrip

cassiedogrip New commenter

Personally, ever since I decided to retire this Xmas, see my thread Retiring at Christmas 2019, I have felt ever-so-chilled! I've started to make some plans , but don't plan to do too much to begin with. My blood pressure and cholesterol levels have both mysteriously reduced too - you couldn't make it up, could you? In full agreement with Sundaytrekker: go at a time to suit YOU - please don't take this the wrong way, but you'll soon be replaced and, to a large extent, forgotten too. It is after all, just a job.
    All the best.

border_walker and Sundaytrekker like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Congratulations! Remember if you go on 31st August, you'll get an extra month of pay! And that might help your pension (but you'll need to check that, of course).

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you go at the end of the spring term you put April 30th as the effect from date. So four months of pay for either term.