1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Decimals... year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Feb 26, 2011.

• Give a number between two numbers with one decimal place, e.g. 2.5 and 2.6
    Fun activites, warm-ups or games needed to teach decimals to a group of low to average ability year 6 children. Where to start, ways to progress and secure understanding needed please.
    I feel like I'm missing something. I've also found decimals the hardest area to teach (I don't know why) Can you help? I hope so.

• Give a number between two numbers with one decimal place, e.g. 2.5 and 2.6
    Fun activites, warm-ups or games needed to teach decimals to a group of low to average ability year 6 children. Where to start, ways to progress and secure understanding needed please.
    I feel like I'm missing something. I've also found decimals the hardest area to teach (I don't know why) Can you help? I hope so.

1. Great maths topic ... I love it!
    This Number line is fAB
    http://www.delicious.com/mathslinks/Numberlineandcountingsticks
    These sites might help
    http://www.delicious.com/mathslinks/Numberlineandcountingsticks

I made loads of laminated cards of fractions ,some with 1 DP, some with 2, some with 3 ... for placing on the floor in order ,some with mixed dps, (HA) and some the same dps.

2. Thanks. I have checked them out. They look good. I think we have simliar games on computers at school so I'll try that too. I like your idea about the big cards, I tried this when doing multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100 and it was successful.
    Anymore ideas are welcome