1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Deciding on a leaving date for mat leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Mrs_B, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B New commenter

Just filling in a form for school and I'm not sure what date to put last day before mat leave.

I'm due 17th of Jan which is the second sunday after hols. Ideally I'd like to say the end of the first week back which is the 8th so that I can get full pay over christmas but bearing in mind due dates aren't very accurate and that I will probably be totally exhausted anyway, I'm not sure if I can get away with going back for a day after hols then going on mat leave.

Sometimes I think I should just make the end of the autumn term my last day so that I can totally relax. I'm just worried about money :(

2. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

How about finishing on Sunday 3rd January then you get paid up until then and in reality finish at the end of the autumn term anyway.

I'll be finishing about 5 or 6 weeks early again as I am usually huge, swollen and can hardly fit behind the steering wheel! X

Come and join our winter babies thread!

3. Mrs_B

Mrs_B New commenter

Can you give a date in the holidays then?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can give any date regardless of whether that date is a holiday or weekend.

You could also site your 'return from maturity leave date' as one year after your due date? think about it while you are off and if finances mean you wish to return do so from leave at any point, giving 21 days notice to your school?..

5. Mrs_B

Mrs_B New commenter

Thanks both, that's really helpful :)

6. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

You're welcome! Most teachers put their start date for maternity as the first day of work after a holiday so they get paid for that holiday. Teachers can't accrue annual leave and use it on the end of maternity leave like other professions can so its a little bit of fairness in return for that.

X

7. milly8627

milly8627 New commenter

Hello!

Mrs B, I know where you are going from as I'm also finding the whole maternity leave date thing difficult! I am due on 26th December and have given my leave date as the last day of term (which is about 1 week before im due). Should I have given it as the first day of the xmas holidays?

I don't even know if I will be able to work that long but the baby being due in the middle of a school holiday means I have to work as close to the due date as possible to get the most money....is this right???

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

When it comes to the 'start date' for maternity leave, one is best to cite an 'end of holiday period' - thus being paid fully as long as possible before the due date or birth.