1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decided to leave- feel so much better already :)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Katie777, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

I wrestled with my decision to leave teaching and then to actually leave at Easter. I left before and was happy but it has still been hard to admit I am done for good! Returning to teaching (part time) was followed quite quickly by chronic illness literally knocking me off my feet. I have made drastic changes to every other part of my life to look after my health but it has still taken me well over a year to see that I needed to change this too. I have been in denial.

Having decided to go (handing in notice this week), the stress is melting away. I am starting to realise what a heavy burden I have been carrying and how amazing it feels to put it down! Just wanted to share, in case it helps x

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

By the time I retired from full-time teaching, three years ago, I felt like I was wearing lead diver's boots and trying to walk around under ten fathoms of treacle. When I was finally pushed out, I felt the boots slip off and I gradually surfaced again and it was only then that I really appreciated how awful a burden the job had become.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very happy for you, Katie, although sad that we are losing yet another teacher.

Have you handed in the letter yet? If not, might be a good idea just to check with this. I know you are not going to another school, but the Easter dates problem still applies for you.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

With best wishes for a wonderful life.

4. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yes. This is how I feel now that I am part time and am back in a school with sane management. I feel like before I was trapped at the bottom of a deep well with walls all around me, unable to see my friends & family, unable to focus on anything except the demands of the job.

Well done Katie for making the decision. I have never been happier. I have said this over and over recently, but I'll say it one more time - I cannot believe I did that to myself and my family for so long.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When I look back on my last few years in teaching, I always come back to the same thought: 'how the **ck did I ever do that?'

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another one sad that teaching is to lose yet another, but glad things seem to be working out for you personally.

notsonorthernlass likes this.