1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decent Salary in Kuala Lumpur (UCSI PA)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jojojojo11, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have been offered a TEFL position at UCSI University in Kuala Lumpur. The salary that they offer is 3500RM and plus 1000RM contribution to accomodation. I have never been there and I do not know if I could live on this or not and I would like to be clear about things before I say yes. Kuala Lumpur is quite tempting but I do not want to end up there without being able to make ends meet... Can anyone help me please? Does anyone know this institution at all?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Hello,
    I have been offered a TEFL position at UCSI University in Kuala Lumpur. The salary that they offer is 3500RM and plus 1000RM contribution to accomodation. I have never been there and I do not know if I could live on this or not and I would like to be clear about things before I say yes. Kuala Lumpur is quite tempting but I do not want to end up there without being able to make ends meet... Can anyone help me please? Does anyone know this institution at all?
    Thanks a lot.

3. Hello
    This is a very poor (international) salary even by KL standards, could you survive on it yes, could you live on it, no not by western standards. A decent city centre apartment will cost you in the region of RM2500.
    What there offering you is essentially local hire rates, the average international teachers salary ranges from RM 8000 - RM19000 so as you can see this is well below.
    Kl is a great place to live the people are friendly and relaxed, education though in most establishments is simply a business.

4. CanLah

CanLah New commenter

Would agree with exuk 4500 a month very difficult to live on. Cost of living is rising here so think it would be very difficult to make ends meet. Certainly wouldn't be able to take advantage of the travel opportunities in the region. KL is a great city to live in but not on 4500 a month

5. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

Agree with both of the previous comments. Our local teacher salary scale goes to more than RM6000 and is barely competitive. An expat tertiary lecturer would usually be offered RM8000+ which is still not great as an expat in KL. Others will say that you can live on that and have a good time but, unless you are young and have no overseas commitments, you'll be penny pinching all the time.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

This is less than a local lecturer would be on at a decent Uni here. It is also NOT LEGAL! Expat staff should be paid a minimum of 5000rm a month. 5000 is enough to survive on, if you don't have commitments in the UK.
    So, unless you're already in Malaysia, don't pack your bags.

7. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Sort of agree with above posters - it is too low for legal work permit which is min 5k a month - but tefl positions at the many crappy local private unis are extremly low. New lecturers often only get 2.5k a month! Hence high turnover and poor quality teaching. I know as I looked into that last time I lived in kl. Local hire lecturers don't earn that much either. Even with a Phd 7k or so is starting salary (not tefl). usually lecturers work on the side and often in business you run into lecturers who use the uni as a base, legitimacy and for the business card! They lecture a bit and focus on private business interests. In Asia often you get paid more the younger the kids! Ie the best tefl jobs in Thailand are for teaching kindergarten and primary! Unlike UK although in UK secondary pays more than universities in most cases. Academics have to do business on the side as well to make money. obviously in some areas for the best academics get more but in the hoards of UK ex polys and low ranking unis pay is awful.

So ask for 6k and see what they say. On that if you g and single and want a jolly I would go for it

8. Dear everyone!

Thanks for your replies! They are really helpful. I will ask for the 5K and 1K for accomodation and if they cannot provide that, I will stay in the rainy UK :) I would love to go to Kuala Lumpur but I have got a Masters in English and CELTA B so I will try to get a better offer elsewhere with my qualifications.
    Thanks

9. kpjf

kpjf New commenter

Hi

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would see if anyone has worked for UCSI lately or know what they're currently offering? I was in touch with UCSI for one of their schools outside Kuala Lumpur, but they wouldn't tell me what the salary was. Does anyone know?

Thanks

10. Britishexpat

Britishexpat New commenter

Come to Korea instead. 2.3m won is currently £1600 a month so it's gone up by £100. You may be able to negotiate up to 2.5m won a month. You will also get free accommodation in your own studio apartment without paying a dime for it and free flights. There are adult jobs at Hagwons and if you have a masters in English you can get into a uni and get 3m won a month if you get the right uni. Tax in Korea is only about 4% too whereas in Malaysia I believe it's a whopping 28%. Why go there and pay all that and be offered slave wages? Only go to Malaysia if you get £1500 a month or more. You can also do online tuition on the side in Korea or you could ask to do part time work elsewhere but you need permission from your main employer first. Korea is the only place for decent money for TEFL in Asia. Vietnam could be on a par but it depends if you get a full time job there. You will have to pay pension in Korea though and you can't get it back if you're a brit unless you work more than 10 years in Korea. It's the dumb UK government's fault for this.