1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decent poem that contains metaphors

Discussion in 'English' started by Facetious, May 13, 2011.

1. I've put together a lesson on metaphors for a bright Year 7 class but, despite a long search on the Internet, I can't find a really good poem to use. There are plenty of poems there, but nothing that really jumps out at me. I was hoping to find something fairly humorous and perhaps by a poet that the class would recognise. The trouble with the Internet, I think, is that there is too much to look at. Can anybody recommend a particularly enjoyable poem to use? Thanks in advance.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Wires or Next Please by Larkin. Both seemingly based on proverbs. Very cinematic.

4. the sick rose by william blake ... or the poison tree by blake too ...

5. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

The Sea by James Reeves is a useful one for this age group.

6. Thanks everybody. There are some great suggestions here - I found The Sea after I logged off the forum last night, so great minds think alike! I'm going to look at the others and see which will suit the class the most. Your time is much appreciated.

7. The Highwayman works well; plenty of similes too. Some pupils amy know it from ks2 though.

8. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Another choice might be "The Railway" by RL Stevenson. Have the final objective to create a metaphorical title to the poem. Very apt for year 7 I've found.

9. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

Metaphors, by Sylvia Plath. Perfect for KS3. I do it it partner with 'you're'