1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decaffeinated coffee

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Inky, I'm an absolute tea addict and drink gallons of it. But have been having this problem with acid in my stomach and was advised to drink de-caff. It has eased but 1'm sure my acid is stress related so it may be a coincidence that I feel better. I still fit in a proper cuppa in during the day because I'm sure the caffeine in tea is part of why tea bucks us up.

2. I drink tons of (very, very strong) tea but do not get heartburn or acid problems with it.
    I do from (non decaff) coffee. I don't from decaff coffee.
    I was actually talking about this today with a colleague, as we both went from one meeting to another (high stress), went to lunch and ordered a coffee - and both immediately cancelled the order ;o)
    Stress is of course, a contributory factor, but I can drink tea in high stress situations until it comes out of my ears and have no problems.
    Drink one cup of coffee and I am doubled in pain or running to the loo.

3. Well this never used to happen to me I reckon its all part of the ageing process! Coffee always makes me want to wee lots of times but tea not so much. Well hopefully tomorrow I'll find out waht it is at the clinic.

4. Strange things happen to you as you get older.
    I used to manage on much less sleep and be much less grumpy than is now my almost default disposition ;o)
    Good luck tomorrow xx

5. Ha ha! I know what you mean. Thanks x

6. impis

impis New commenter

I used to drink bog standard Nescafe. With caffeine. But then when we went abroad on holiday, and I didn't like the coffee served there, I'd get a migraine for 3 days through not having my caffeine fix. So I decided to swap to decaff. I have to say, that if I did a blind test - I wouldn't know which coffee had the caffeine in it. Some brands are better than others, whatever the caffeine content, of course. Basically, you get what you pay for - and the cheaper ones are rubbish. Nescaffe decaff and Tecos own 'gold' decaffs are very good.
    As for the heartburn thing - I suffer HB regardless of what I drink. Tis fat content which causes HB for me. If what I eat/drink is low fat, there's no problem. The minute I have cream, or buttered bread, I get HB. [and it mostly turns up when I'm asleep, and wakes me as I choke on it] The doc has given me tablets which help alot - omazrapole, they're called, I think.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

True.
    No. Not at all true! Acidity has nothing to do with temperature. It's dissociation of hydrogen ions to be precise, and is not dependent on temperature.
    As for acid in the stomach, the stomach produces its own acid (hydrochloric acid) which is the equivalent strength of car battery acid (around pH 1-2). Nasty stuff.
    Some substances can stimulate exces production of stomach acid, and doctor's often prescribe medicines called 'proton pump inhibitors' to regulate production of stomach acid. It may be that caffeine, whilst not an acid, stimulates acid production.