1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Decaffeinated coffee

Discussion in 'Personal' started by henriette, Apr 15, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Fact 1: I drink strong black coffee with lots of sugar - espresso for preference, but instant at school
    Fact 2: I have been suffering from acid indigestion (mainly linked to stress), and coffee makes it worse
    Question 1: is decaf any less acidic than caffeinated coffee (Instant) ?
    Question 2: would I notice a real difference in flavour between the 2?
    Any/all opinions welcome.

2. not sure about acidity - this is why i drink decaff:
    many years ago, i took my mum to henlow grange, where all the coffee apart from your early-morning eye-opener is decaff. now, i used to drink a fair few cups of weak instant, but my mum had a serious percolated habit. by day 2, she thought she had flu - she had caffeine withdrawal.
    the decaff i drink is mellow to the point of feeble, but you can get strong flavoured decaff - look for the usual pointers 'full bodied' etc
    hope it works for you

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The acidity is nothing to do with decaff.
    IMO decaff doesn't taste as good.
    Get some Rennies!

4. Carte Noire Decaff - I was pleasantly suprised. In fact I didn't know it was decaff until Mrs. D pointed it out when I observed that at least we were drinking proper coffee not any of that rubbish decaff stuff.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't think it has anything to do with acidity but caffeine is linked to heartburn.
    Mr BS was suffering from very bad heartburn. He then reacted very badly to the medication that the doctor prescribed for him. I read a magazine article about the link to caffeine and when he cut that from his diet the heartburn stopped. He forgot about it once on holiday and the heartburn came back after 3 days.
    He likes the Tescos own decaff.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

To be honest I'm not a coffee conniesiree (omg wrong spelling) but I love defafn - high blood pressure! But then again I'm not a coffee addict either! The reality is - I cant drink too much coffee unless it is decaff so its all about horses for courses imo! Hope this makes sense?

7. Caffeine makes me nauseous. Costa decaf is fine, I don't drink instant so can't help there. If you do switch, make sure you do it gradually or you'll have horrible withdrawal symptoms. Good luck - I only ever had heartburn when pregnant but it was awful!

8. I have drunk decaf for years.
    When on occasion I drink non-decaf (the odd cup at work or after a meal when out), I always get stomach ache.
    I don't personally think there is much of a difference in taste, although the decaf I buy is tbf a fairly mild blend (Fair Trade decaf from Aldi) and it isn't instant (we don't tend to drink instant over here!)

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

If decaf is not less acidic I'm not touching it! I love my strong black coffee and will not willingly give it up.
    I'll keep on with Zantac and Gaviscon, then + drink water at school

10. Sorry Henriette but I suffer badly at the moment with acid and I was advised to stay off tea and coffee and use de-caff. I now only have de-caff and its not bad. I am completely used to now and it has helped with my acid. Someone on here said they didn't suffer with acid indigestion but had heartburn. That is acid! There definitely is a link with caffiene and acidity in the stomach.
    Coincidently I have an appointment tomorrow at the gastro clinic! I am terrified that they will ask me to have an endoscopy. Eek! I manage to choke regularly on watercress!
    I don't find Zantac much good. uses to take Lap??? forgot the name and it was great, then it suddenly stared to make me feel ill, so very fed up.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Caffeine is not an acid!
    I find that I need to go easy on the caffeine after mid afternoon. It's useful for staying awake when driving or doing parents' evenings.
    Reasonable quality decaff is not as nice as the real thing, but suffices for my evening cup most of the time.
    I f you think that coffee is giving you heartburn, there is no harm (apart from the small expense) in trying decaff and seeing if things improve. Alternatively try and get a taste for a different drink. Lapsang Souchong is a good alternative.
    Another thing to try is drinking it at a lower temperature - cool coffee is (slightly) less acidic than hot coffee - although by the time it's made it into your stomach it's proably colled a lot anyway.
    best wishes,
    P

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are certain foods that give me heartburn even if I think of them but tea has never been one of them. I can't see the link between caffeine and hb in my own life.

13. Correct, caffeine is not an acid but it relaxes the valve in the stomach that releases acid into the stomach. Or words to that affect!

14. Some decaff gives me an unbearable headache, apparently its something to do with the process of removing the caffeine.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A guy I knew in the 90s started to get symptoms indicative of heart problems. He was the design engineer of a medical product company. A partner in this business was a consultant pharmacologist in a major teaching hospital and arranged to have him checked out by the cardiac team. It turmed out there was nothing wrong with his heart.
    So the pharmacologist asked him questions about his lifestyle, was there anything different he was eating or drinking over the past year, and specifically he asked about caffeine consumption.
    It turned out that something different had happened in this respect. As the company grew, he had been sharing his office with a number of programmers who lived off coffee. They had installed a coffee machine in the room and it became habitual that when anyone fancied a coffee, they'd make one for everyone. The programmers favoured the stronger varieties and assumed everyone else shared their taste.
    The pharmacologist explained that it was a well-know fact that over consumption of caffeine can cause the type of symptoms he was experiencing and that although at the time of the tests my friend had there probably wasn't a lot of caffeine in his system, it wouldn't take a lot when there was, to tip the balance into a full-scale heart attack.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Quote who? I thought the problem of heartburn lay in the oesophagus.
    I must say, I think there are some nutritionists who have an almost puritanical down on tea. Proper tea, I mean, not the wimpy infusions that dare to call themselves by that noble name. Tea is the remedy for so many things: thirst, insomnia, shock, loneliness - in short, 'the cup that cheers.'
    Pastry, orange juice, milk, alcohol - they all give me heartburn when I'm susceptible. Zantac is useful before the event. Bananas burn on the way down, so I limit them for the sake of my poor battered oesophagus. But tea is loathed by nutritional zealots because it's a drug. I've even been told that drinking it will make me thirsty because it's a diuretic. Nonsense. Nothing is more refreshing than a well-brewed cup of good tea.
    I wouldn't touch decaffinated coffee with a barge pole. What do they do to it? Instead, I limit myself to a couple of small, strong cups at the weekend and enjoy the druggy buzz it gives me with a happy conscience. Swilling bucketfuls of Starbucks every day or downing endless nescafes sounds like coffee.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry - missed the edit thingy!

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh, and I don't take sugar with my tea, so don't have the twenty-one spoonfuls that my friend does evvery day.

19. anteater

anteater New commenter

Some processes involve a lot of chemicals, others steaming and rinsing - perhaps it is residual chemicals that give you the headache, although I would have thought there must be very stringent rules about this.
    I quite like Clipper decaff - certainly can't tell the difference in flavour from the variety with caffeine.

20. most deacff these days is water-decaffeinated, and it should say on the label
    are you sure the headache isn't caffeine withdrawal? 'saturday headache' is quite common for those who work in a percolator-fuelled office environment such as described previously