1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Debate in the Cfe classroom

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by wideeyed82, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a student teacher completing my research project on debate in the classroom. I would appreciate if you could complete my survey http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/543988/Debate-in-the-Classroom (only takes a few mins) and also feel free to give your thoughts here on whether debate in the classroom is valuable or not?

Thankyou

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Hi, I think one of the problems with the way you have phrased your research (Debate in the CfE classroom) tends to imply that debate in the classroom either never existed before the introduction of a CfE, or that there is something specific to a CfE that facilitates debate.
    From my own experience in primary education, most children have always been keen to contribute to classroom discussions although some, by their nature, are more reticent. Indeed, some very able pupils spend more time listening than speaking and sometimes 'empty vessels make the most noise'. The TV show 'The Apprentice' has a tendency to demonstrate this principle.
    I suppose you could argue that having 'confident individuals' and 'effective contributors' in a class is beneficial in encouraging debate but was that not also the case long before the introduction of a CfE?
    Indeed, there are some who would argue that the current focus on 'active learning' is creating a generation of children, and young people, who find it difficult to sit still, listen and concentrate.
    Genuine debate is not just about being able to confidently contribute an opinion, viewpoint or argument. It is also about being able to listen to someone else's opinion, viewpoint or argument and reflect on the relative merits of what is being debated.
    Your survey could, therefore, have sought to gauge whether there has been a measurable improvement in classroom debate under a CfE or, alternatively, whether the situation has remained the same or even deteriorated. You may also want to define what you understand by the term 'debate'.
    Given that you have already set up the structure of your survey, you may simply wish to show that you have considered such issues when presenting your research findings.
    Also, I'm sure you are aware that it is quite difficult to achieve a random sample of teachers when conducting research online so care has to be taken when analysing the validity of the findings.
    I hope this helps. Good luck.